Narrowband

Nearly the veil

Last night the sky was riddled with thin clouds but I could make out some stars, so I went for a play out. I wanted to test the 80mm f/5 Celestron that I got from James as a possible guide 'scope to see what it would do so I grabbed and went as it were. The HEQ5 is brilliant for this with the pier as I just stick it on, power up and we're off. M31 was a possible, but it was in a tree so off to somewhere else. NGC6960 seemed like a good idea so I keyed it in and stuck the camera on. Prime focus with CLS filter.

image.jpg

As you can see from this there is only a hint of nebulosity, looks like smoke rising from the bright star towards the smaller red one. This is a single 90 second shot at 1600ISO which I took at the end of testing my new toys.

The other subs I took were 30 seconds and don't show the nebula at all, I was hoping that stacking would bring it out but it didn't, next time longer exposures and Ha filter I think.

The 30 seconds bit was testing some new software from Nikon for remote camera control, I'll stick a review in the relevant section, basically very happy with it (the software AND 'scope that is).

Captain Chaos

Gordon, I find that ALL the fun, playing with toys. It's like when I was a boy with LEGO, the pile of bricks didn't look much like a car, but I knew it was, and it was a GT40!

More subs were on the cards but the lappy battery died as I hadn't run a power cable for the "quick test" and I'd been trying to Registax the first few frames while it did the rest to see what I'd got. Kind of used up the volts too soon. Trotted off inside to process what I did have but there was not much there, but I know what to do next (tonight?) and it should be good.

Captain Chaos

Gordon, I find that ALL the fun, playing with toys. It's like when I was a boy with LEGO, the pile of bricks didn't look much like a car, but I knew it was, and it was a GT40!

More subs were on the cards but the lappy battery died as I hadn't run a power cable for the "quick test" and I'd been trying to Registax the first few frames while it did the rest to see what I'd got. Kind of used up the volts too soon. Trotted off inside to process what I did have but there was not much there, but I know what to do next (tonight?) and it should be good.

Captain Chaos

I know exactly what you mean, only mine was a ferrari hehe

I'm messing around with tripod legs at the moment trying to get this little SLT mount to perform well, and i'm having lots of fun solving problems etc. Who needs clear nights?

Blimey CC

Bet your pleased with that for a single frame 8)

Nice sharp stars, not too noisy even though the ISO was high

And yes, I can see "the smoke rising" quite clearly.

Imagine what your gonna get on a dark winter sky :D

Nice one mate :D

Don't knock it CC. These faint nebs are faint!! I couldn't believe how faint the pelican was. Very little on the individual subs and a lot of noise on these warm nights. You have one in the bank, just got to collect 40 more now :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived