Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TMB 105 or NP101 - which one to buy

I'm trying to choose between these two. I need something portable as I can't take the EM200+IM M703 with me when I have the wife and kids in the car... The scope will be alt-az mounted for visual and will also be used for imaging when it's possible to take the EM200 with me.

I like the TV very much and until recently it is what I thought I needed. Then the TMB 105 caught my eye with its portability. Apart from it do you think there are significant optical performance differences between these two or I should take the best price offer?

Can somebody also comment on the differences between the tubes on the 105 - the CNC, LW and LW2. I found some complaints about the 3.5" focuser on the CNC version. I tend to like this tube in particular - it looks so extraordinary industrial bow.gif. But it think it's heavier than the other tubes. Maybe the LW2 is the best option as it has a 3.5" Starlight focuser which is more than enough for what I need. But yet again the LW tube is the lightest and most compact tube and I'm looking for a small scope...

Boy am I confused...

And to add a bit more to the confusion I'm also considering the TSA102...

Any suggestions especially from owners will be greatly appreciated

I would prefer the A&M TMB Advanced Telescopes 105 version with the carbon fibre tube, the OTA has a better build quality and finish but with the same optics. You can also choose several different focusers including the 3.5" Feathertouch. For some reason the price in the UK is a lot more than from this dealer in the Netherlands.

http://www.robtics.nl/product_info.php?products_id=947&pID=947&language=en

John

The focuser is a 3.5" featherlite and is excellent. The only thing I would criticise it for would be the retractable dew shield which is a poor design. It is very solidly made in every other respect. The views of the Moon through it are superb. Although you will need a field flattener for astrophotography.

Regards

I would prefer the A&M TMB Advanced Telescopes 105 version with the carbon fibre tube, the OTA has a better build quality and finish but with the same optics. You can also choose several different focusers including the 3.5" Feathertouch. For some reason the price in the UK is a lot more than from this dealer in the Netherlands.

http://www.robtics.nl/product_info.php?products_id=947&pID=947&language=en

John

Wow John looks awesome. A&M make some fantstic scope, and they so pretty as well.

Starman

Both are great scopes from highly regarded designers. If you are intending to use whichever for imaging, I'd also budget for a field flattener depending on the size of the CCD you're using.

An alternative to consider if weight is an issue is a Tak TSA102 - it's not as beefy as the FSQ106 weighing just under 5kg

Steve

Archived