SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

mars dec 17 th

neil phillips

Snatched this between the bad weather on the 17th Dec at 4.50 GMT, because of bad drift on the lx 10 mount and manual corrections, im spending a couple of mins keeping the image on screen, as such im losing quite a few frames. but 4 mins at 30 fps it seems is still enough to show quite a bit of detail.

DFK camera,

Meade 8" LX 10, 3x barlow f30 6000 mm FL heavily resized, but i thought the quality could easily take it.

Slight artifact on the left edge. i was going to blur out but didnt think it was worth bothering, theres something more true about a warts and all image. quite a few features can be made out, i wil have to download a comparison map image if anyone knows of a good link. my best capture of the red planet so far this year. This the boring side of mars

4195243080_0824fe9e8b_o.png

The offending size now deleted sorry guys, a moment of sillyness on my part.

Basically a really good image Neil, but without meaning to be rude the resampling/resizing is a bit OTT....!:):D

You've picked up some fantastic detail and there are actually clouds visible in your image - not certain about all of them along the terminator limb but definitely the 2 around the CM area and the one off the NPI.....took the liberty of repro'ing your image to what imho is a better scale where details aren't blurred so much: didn't worry about limb artefacts etc as it was only the jpeg I had but, a bit of judicious decon etc helps (along with the scale reduction.....:p)

But regardless, whatever floats our seperate boats.....a nice capture for an 8" whatever our individual appraisals of various processings is!;):D

post-16205-133877415569_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input guys.

Thanks for having a go on the processing front, The large image was just meant to be a bit of fun lol. i dont make a habit of 500% resizes. Some examples on my site if your interested.

Neil phillips lunar and planetary images

But i thought it was interesting to show you guys how blur was the only degradation at this silly resize scale. I must admit i do tend to dislike heavily processed images, for details sake, i do think it should still look fairly natural. having said that, i am still experimenting with the image and i do think i could have pushed it further. So heres a redo more akin to what you was doing. BTW i did do Deconvolution. but i agree having looked at this again more is there to be got for sure, and a certain amount of blur was left. I think the large example made that impression more obviouse ( it would ) the smaller version does still look pretty natural in terms of sharpening and noise, But as of your example again i could have gone further. Dont think i would want to push it much further than this though. A change of colour balance here too. Some may find it a little red.

Thanks for taking the time to play with the image. I always find others perspectives of use. it helps me refine my own. Cheers

Neil

4196829105_63c2d40b96_o.png

Nice pic with some good detail..I too prefer a more unprocessed image result (I don't like M42 with a clean core, as an example, as it is not a true representation of the brightness...I feel it is a bit of a lie)

Neil C

Archived