Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aperture VS Moumt VS Parabolic Mirrors

Hello,

I've found all the guides really useful here, but there's one thing I can't decide on for my first telescope. Should you go for the maximum aperture you can afford over everything else? I have until Fridy to decide. There's a 80mm (f/12.5) Mak. with an Alt. Az-Azimuth mount around the same price as a 130mm (f/6.92) motorised Newtonion with a EQ-2 mount and then there's a 130mm (f/5) with parabolic primary mirror and an EQ-2 mount.

What would you sacrifice in a starter scope? I have access to Dark Skies but I would like to use this at home in an urban environment when possible. Interested in deep sky and planets too, but understand the compromises involved with a tight budget.

Thanks, I'm amazed at the variation all in the same price range. I only discounted a 153mm (f/1200) Parabolic Dobsonian because, although it has a direct SLR camera connection, it doesn't seem to be motorised so I couldn't grasp how it would track :)

Dobsonians are the eaiest telescopes to use and understand. You basically place the base down and move it in Azimuth and Altitude by pushing or pulling the optical tube assembly. It does not track automatically.

I would go for as much aperture as you can as long as all you are interested in is visual.

If your goal is photography there are a few things you should check before buying:

- The main one is whether the focuser haves enough travel to focus with a SLR.

- The EQ3-2 mount will probably not allow exposures over 1 or 2 minutes.

A call to the Steve at FLO would probably enlighten you more on the scope you want and you could know if it meets your requirements before you part with your cash.

Many scopes come prepared for observation only and will require mods (that will certainly void the warranty) and extras so they can be used for photography.

If I were buting from scracth I'd get the 130 with the motorised EQ2 mount OR the 130 F5 on the non motorised mount and buy a motor.

Much depends on your budget but the 130 is such a solid proven performer I'd go with that. The combinatio of the two will give you experience with a refelector and an EQ mount which will be worth having.

Foget astrophotography if your on a tight budget.

Oh I should have said they are all motorised, it's one thing I didn't want to go without as it's so important for photography. I hoped I could at least start out with a budget of £200? Should I forget all that and dump the motor for more spending on aperture?

If I discount the Alt-Az mount the only difference is the parabolic mirrors and focal length, I wasn't sure how much of a difference they made. I wish there was an actual visual guide online of what to expect :D

Archived