Another thought - to go with the couple of questions

martin_h

If the universe is expanding from a singularity and at some point it will stop and collapse back to a singularity, what then? Another Big Bang? If thats the case, who's to say that this is the first go round for this one, could we not be on the 2nd, - 10th - 100th go? :)

I'm sorry, and I've read all the blurb and watched all the programmes, but I just can't get my head around the fact that something microscopically small could have enough mass to explode and produce all the matter in the universe. For gods sake, ATM we don't even know how big the universe is. We are limited by technology and in future we could discover the universe to be hundreds of times bigger than we think it is today.

A far more reasonable theory to me (I don't care if anyone laughs cuz most theories get laughed at first) is a parallel universe containing an enormous black hole (or holes) spewing matter into this universe. Have they pinpointed the source of the "big bang" ? shouldn't be too hard given that we know how fast the galaxies are travelling and in what directions. A couple of super computers should be able to give us a rough estimate. Surely by now that would be an enormous region of empty space if it all happened in a massive explosion ?

One hell of a puzzle aint it. In the name of keeping my sanity, I find its best not to try and figure it out and laugh at the one's that are loosing their minds trying lol :)

Its beyond human intelligence/science ATM IMO

Matt

A far more reasonable theory to me (I don't care if anyone laughs cuz most theories get laughed at first) is a parallel universe containing an enormous black hole (or holes) spewing matter into this universe

Zog where did your parallel universe come from?

Zog where did your parallel universe come from?

Same place as the one that created that one. A product of collisions of other dimensions in the 11th M Brane dimension = energy = Big Bang = new Universe

It makes perfect sense of course :) if you can think beyond 4 dimensions.

Have they pinpointed the source of the "big bang" ?

The Big Bang happened in all directions at once.

The universe is thought to be 13.7 billion years old. For the first 0.0004 billion years, there was a "fog" that obscures seeing, but we can see back to 0.0004 billion years after the Big Bang. This is the cosmic microwave background (CMB) that we see in all directions.

my head hurts now.

in an explosion (big bang) surely everything will be projected away from the central point of the explosion. (not sure thats right but its how i see it)

i cant understand how there is no centre, if everything is moving away from each other then there must be a middle point even if we cant calculate it.

i still dont get what the universe is expanding into. if there is a point (event horizon) thats the edge of the universe , Whats on the other side....do we know

ps the earth was flat once remember.......ie what we deem to know has constantly changed through time as we learn more..... whos to say we are not wrong about all sorts of stuff now. we are only working with small pictures. can dark matter etc change our ideas ??????

it's all beyond my comprehension that's for sure, what happened to the theory you only get out what one puts in???

How do we know the big bang was the start of everything, maybe we just haven't looked far enough back due to the limitations of our technology, maybe the universe as we perceive it is not correct and our universe is just part of a bigger galaxy, I don't think we will ever truly know the answers until we can travel the vast distances in the universe, hell we don't know everything about the earth yet, let alone space....

great questions...

There are stars with enough mass to collapse on themselves, forming what have been theorized as black holes. It is thought that within these black holes there is a point called "singularity" at which all physical laws may cease to exist. At this point the curvature of space-time becomes infinitely large, and modern science can no longer predict what will happen. Einstein's theory of relativity cannot determine what effect singularity will have on an object, forming an uncertainty in our universe. It is from this uncertain state that many theories have arisen surrounding singularity. It has been theorized that beyond singularity exist tunnels - shortcuts - to other ends of the universe. These "wormholes" could be a solution to interstellar travel, which currently is limited by relativity. However, many complications surround this possible theory. Most notable is the fact that the gravitational force of a black hole would crush any possible interstellar spacecraft, which is something that will have to be worked out. While this theory about singularity is questionable at best and will probably be left to science fiction, there is another theory about the center of a black hole that has been gaining more acceptance from respected physicists and astronomers, and describes a whole new view about our known universe.

I like to think of it as the Universe breathing.

Inhale = expand, exhale = collapse. :D

That theory was put forward by Edgar Allan Poe in a book called Eureka

Poe: Eureka

But although the cosmic bounce was fashionable in the 1960s, current theory suggests perpetual expansion.

great questions...

There are stars with enough mass to collapse on themselves, forming what have been theorized as black holes. It is thought that within these black holes there is a point called "singularity" at which all physical laws may cease to exist. At this point the curvature of space-time becomes infinitely large, and modern science can no longer predict what will happen. Einstein's theory of relativity cannot determine what effect singularity will have on an object, forming an uncertainty in our universe.

Yes, it seems that Einstein's theory of relativity predicts that it can't predict.

It is from this uncertain state that many theories have arisen surrounding singularity. It has been theorized that beyond singularity exist tunnels - shortcuts - to other ends of the universe. These "wormholes" could be a solution to interstellar travel, which currently is limited by relativity.

Because of time dilation and Lorentz contraction, relativity allows (in principle) travel to arbitrarily distant destinations in arbitrarily short times. Also, general relativity might permit stand-alone wormholes that exit independently of black holes.

However, many complications surround this possible theory. Most notable is the fact that the gravitational force of a black hole would crush any possible interstellar spacecraft, which is something that will have to be worked out.

Most astrophysical black holes are thought to rotate, and the singularity of a rotating black hole is a ring. It is possible to miss the singularity, and to travel through the ring (this is the tunnel part) without experiencing infinite crushing forces.

Rotating real black holes, however, have stuff falling into them. This in-falling stuff creates an unavoidable singularity that is inside the event horizon and before the ring. This singularity is weak enough that there aren't crushing forces associated with it, but it seems that at this singularity there is an infinite energy density which would fry anyone who attempted to cross it. This seems to block all paths to the tunnel through the ring.

While this theory about singularity is questionable at best and will probably be left to science fiction, there is another theory about the center of a black hole that has been gaining more acceptance from respected physicists and astronomers, and describes a whole new view about our known universe.

Could you give some names and references?

could 'The Big Bang' not be the blackhole in another 'Universe' from whence this one sprang ? ..and 'our' blackholes each lead into the next ? ..like the bubbles in aerated drinks, where the liquid is 'nothing' and the CO2 is time-space-energy-matter....

perhaps all of a 'fizz' so vast we can't tell if the glass is half-full or half-empty :D

I'm gonna go off on a total tangent. It started off as a singularity, and still is a singularity. It *imploded* created time and space within it. This would explain the 'what is it expanding into' - it is everything, and always has been, we're being created within. It may look like it's expanding, but that's because the 'middle' is still being created - it's expanding inwards.

The problem I have with 'The Big Bang' is if it was a 'Bang' then the expansion would be a constant (as in 'The Big Bang' being an explosion).

The velocity would be the velocity would be the velocity (just covering several velocity constants that would have to be constant, there).

BUT (big 'but' so caps) the Universe isn't expanding with a constant velocity.

It's accelerating.

So whether it's a 'pull' or a 'push', to me anyway, no such thing as 'The Big Bang'.

Plus, add in the embarrassing lack of material to make this a closed Universe (cyclical expansion and contraction), and as a result, it's definitely an Open Universe. Which has very interesting implications.

Amongst which are, everything that can possibly happen, will indeed happen.

So, as implied there's an infinite number of somewhere's where we all make it (as well as an infinite number where we don't), we may as well all make it right here then, eh?

:D

I'm gonna go off on a total tangent. It started off as a singularity, and still is a singularity. It *imploded* created time and space within it. This would explain the 'what is it expanding into' - it is everything, and always has been, we're being created within. It may look like it's expanding, but that's because the 'middle' is still being created - it's expanding inwards.

As Carl Sagan once said; "If you want to know what it's like inside a black hole....look around you."

Not exactly on topic-but related...sort of i think .. lol

Have seen/read about huge gravitqaional forces within a black hole,strong enough that even light itself does not have the velocity to escape.

Now,looking at our own satellite,If the Moon has enough gravitaional force to attract the water on the earths surface,deforming it to form tides-Why is the effect of gravity on things like Astronauts bouncing around on it "weak"?

Umm

Yup-I know very little ofc...but wondered if the "Huge Forces" in the BH depended on WHAT matter was being affected?

If that makes sense... :D

Archived