Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

16mm, 100 deg FoV eyepiece

John

This went on e.bay today along with an ad drawing attention to it on Astro Buy & Sell:

Brand new 100 degree FOV 16mm 2" eyepiece on eBay (end time 24-Dec-09 15:10:49 GMT)

I'm guessing these are from the same source as the ES 100 deg 14mm that has been around for a few months now - our own Astro Baby has one I believe :)

I wonder how many takers there will be ....... and where the final price for this example will end ?

John

The eyepiece is available under both TMB and Zhumell brands.Telescopes.com is selling it for $269.98

Quote:

Brand new from Zhumell. The all new Z100 series eyepieces offer a value priced 100 Degree AFOV telescope eyepiece. Once word hit the street of this new eyepiece - all the skeptics starting talking. Well, if you want to spend half your paycheck on an eyepiece - the other 100 Degree eyepieces are VERY nice, but if spending that much on an eyepiece is hard to swallow, but you want the 100 Degree experience, the all new Z100 eyepieces are a great buy.

http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-eyepieces/2-inch-eyepieces/zhumellz10016mmeyepiece.cfm

Discusion on Cloudy Nights

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3408560/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1

John

PS

Reading the Cloudy Nights discussion they seem to be similar to Baader Hyperions in optical quality. In other words good but not premium quality. They have nothing in common with ES100 eyepieces except for the 100 degree FOV.

There's a review of this eyepiece on Cloudynights and by all accounts is a real performer, giving the 13mm Ethos a run for its money. So at £149 it's a real bargain. Here's a link:

14mm 100 degree Explore Scientific Eyepiece - Review

If i had £149 i would go for it but would be ahppy to settle for the Nirvana.

That's a different eyepiece entirely (the Explore Scientific 14mm) and not related at all to the 16mm 100 degree one mentioned in the original post in this thread.

John

Sorry i only saw your link to the ES 14mm at Astroshop John. I should have concentrated harder.

Don't worry Russ - I made a similar mistake in my opening post of this thread :)

They are starting to all look the same to me !.

John

Sorry i only saw your link to the ES 14mm at Astroshop John. I should have concentrated harder.

Sorry if that particular post mislead you. Still for the money the new 16mm isn't bad value ($269 in the US), sort of a Hyperion level of performance but with a 100 degree FOV.

John

I must remember to read threads from the beginning, not jump through until something catches my eye :)

One of the ES 14mm came up on Ebay a few months back, it sold for £99. I had it in my watch basket and forgot to check back until it was too late. There was no reserve, so that buyer nabbed a bargain. I was green with envy.

£99 would have been a complete steal - dammit - I saw the same EP and never bothered bidding as I already had one and assumed in any event it would be beid like mad - the last few items I have wastched on ebay were bid to within a hair of the brand new delivered price from FLO.

It's amazing how people get carried away and completely lose sight of reality. Must win at all costs, even if it means paying more than brand new price......at least they beat the other person. Crazy!

Just watched a 3.5mm Nagler go for £200.00 with postage on eBay.

Telescope House's price is £201.99 delivered. :D

John

That's a good example John. Do they not check the prices first? I mean this won't be a newbie bidding on a Nagler, it will be someone experienced. At least the seller got an excellent price, they must be very chuffed. Got to own a Nagler and then recoup all the cost. :D

Archived