Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Very first imaging trial

old_eyes

It was a clear cold night yesterday in North Wales, so as well as doing some visual observing I thought I would try some basic imaging.

I piggy-backed my Canon 350D with a 100mm F2.8 macro lens on top of my Nexstar 6SE, and basically followed the method in Michael Covington's book Digital SLR Astrophotography.

First trial didn't work out. I tried for the Double Cluster, and because it was near the zenith I couldn't focus accurately (kneeling on the frozen ground), and when I looked at the images later I could see that Covington is right and you can't take 30 second exposures on an Alt-Az mount close to the zenith.

Second trial was Orion's Belt and the nebula. 11 x 30 second exposures with 6 dark frames. I just threw them at Seep Sky Stacker and left everything on default values. The result was:

post-17595-133877414846_thumb.jpg

All I have donw to this is adjust the levels in Photoshop Elements

Next image is a cropped version around the nebula. The focus is way off, but you can see the nebula.

post-17595-133877414852_thumb.jpg

Finally the centre section of an image of the Pleiades - 11 x 30 second frames, 6 dark frames, Deep Sky Stacker

post-17595-133877414859_thumb.jpg

There are all sorts of things wrong with these images, but I am unreasonably proud of them for a first attempt.:)

old_eyes

And so you should be pleased - welcome to the slippery slope that is deep sky imaging ....

Thanks Steve. I also have your book and am studying carefully. Very inspiring.

I have a T-ring adaptor on the way as a Xmas present, so will be able to try some prime focus images next.

The hardest thing was trying to focus in the field. Need to practise that.

old_eyes

Thats a nice set of images for a first attempt. It may be worth investing in a right angle finder for your camera. It will help with focusing a great deal. It's always best to set the focus on a bright star like Vega or Cappella etc.

Here's a link to the view finder mentioned.

1.25x-2.5x Angle Finder for Canon 1000D 450D 400D A1C - eBay (item 260417890789 end time Dec-22-09 17:45:24 PST)

Regards

Kevin

It may be worth investing in a right angle finder for your camera. It will help with focusing a great deal. It's always best to set the focus on a bright star like Vega or Cappella etc.

Here's a link to the view finder mentioned.

1.25x-2.5x Angle Finder for Canon 1000D 450D 400D A1C - eBay (item 260417890789 end time Dec-22-09 17:45:24 PST)

Regards

Kevin

It's definitiely worth thinking about. I was using Rigel to test focus, but it was difficult to see anything through the finder. It was also a bit awkward to get my head in the right place. An angle finder should help.

old_eyes

That's a great start, no wonder your proud. What I do to get focus when doing prime focus is use a Bhatinov mask and a bright star, take a series of shots until the diffraction spikes are perfect, then remove the Bhatinov mask...

In the diagrams on the Bhatinov mask I have seen, it still looks a subtle difference between in focus and out of focus. Do you find it makes it much easier to find the focus point?

old_eyes

It is a LOT easier. Last night I slewed to Capella stuck the mask on and had it focused in 2 minutes. The spikes really do make it so much easier to tell when you are in focus and takes the guess work out. I remember trying to focus my DSLR before the mask and it was a nightmare (most of my photos where slightly out of focus).

It may seem a subtle difference looking at the diagrams but when you are using the mask it is obvious and no problems....I feel I should start getting pom poms out an doing a dance...pink tutu anyone?

Neil C

It is a LOT easier...It may seem a subtle difference looking at the diagrams but when you are using the mask it is obvious and no problems....I feel I should start getting pom poms out an doing a dance...pink tutu anyone?

Neil C

That's a pretty strong testimonial Neil, I'll certainly look at acquiring a mask. At this stage focus is the main problem.

Did you buy a mask or construct your own?

old_eyes

I'm hoping to try imaging after Xmas (if Santa brings the right kit!) and if I get anywhere close to the quality you've shown I'll be over the moon, so to speak :)

Good luck!

Getting anything is such a blast at this stage. No doubt I will become more critical with time, but for now it is all fun!

old_eyes

Ditto what Neil says. I bought mine from a forum member, he maybe worth contacting in case he has any left, he is Psychobilly (Peter). They are also available on ebay etc.

They make a world of difference and it was my best focusing aid purchase...

Archived