Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC6990 Veil Nebula

russ

The Veil as you've never seen it before or ever want to see it again! :D

Couldn't resist having a go with the DSLR, a camera probably totally unsuitable for this target but hey it was fun.

For the second night on the trot, i focused the DSLR on a low down star but forgot to lock the crayford. As soon as the scope slewed to the zenith, the camera went of focus. Pretty annoyed with myself this morning. And hence why the stars are not pin points. But tracking with the LXD75 was absolutely spot on. 70sec exposures at prime focus on the ED80, not a hint of trailing :sunny:

Apologies for how this image looks.....really had to push it to get any of the Veil out.

image.jpg

Russ

thanks for being understanding :D :D :D :D

Rog, i can send you the original Tiff it that helps? And you are right, there's a lot more detail there, i've seen it by pushing the contrast right up. If you think you can extract it, that'd be ace!!!!

Regards

Russ

Hi Rus,

Nice go at this tough target...It is a frail devil. I tried it a few weeks ago and had your same type results with my WO 80mm and Canon XT. You did fine and tracking looks VG.

Doug

Hi Doug, it's certainly a tough one. Wouldn't mind another crack though, this time capturing a lot more images to stack. Out of interest how many images did you stack yourself? This was 7 images, each 70secs @ 1600iso. In hindsight with the tracking working so well, i wish i tried 90-120secs.

Russ

Hi Russ,

I did mine for about 35-40 minutes with the WO 80mm @f6.24 (500mm). I used ISO 800...maybe 1600 would have been better. But, I was trying to keep the noise down. so, here's mine...Yours is VG for such a short exposure.

Doug

post-12989-133877321239_thumb.jpg

Archived