Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wolverhampton - West Mids???

Pollux

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, that looks like a fairly good location and easy enough to get to. I was at RAF Atcham an old air base between telford and shrewsbury, it was very dark there and the milky way was in clear view. I never thought I would say this but there were too many stars lol, I lost all navigation skills away from the city polluted skies im used to and I was so excited about trying to view everything I could. I think I need to get out to darkier skies more often to learn the stars, but it WAS amazing. It was a decent location 360 views but it was absolutley freezing!!! my telescope and all my bags/equipment had ice forming on them and my star atlas as good as froze solid. however I think essington would provide a safer environment with more facilities etc. Im up for it :)

:DHi Michael... (and gang)

:hello2:I got a yes (with condition)! but didn't wanna try n arrange owt just yet and have it fall flat due to weather...

Condition is no key, but welcome to use land, which means park up in layby, hopping through/over the fence/gate, then 20+ acres to choose from...

All still interested??? please PM me

When snow clears and temp rises above 0zero I'll organise a scouting 'party'... meantime, anyone interested in meeting for a few pints and breaking the ice???

Kindest,

Mark

:DHi Michael... (and gang)

:hello2:I got a yes (with condition)! but didn't wanna try n arrange owt just yet and have it fall flat due to weather...

Condition is no key, but welcome to use land, which means park up in layby, hopping through/over the fence/gate, then 20+ acres to choose from...

All still interested??? please PM me

When snow clears and temp rises above 0zero I'll organise a scouting 'party'... meantime, anyone interested in meeting for a few pints and breaking the ice???

Kindest,

Mark

Great news!!! :) im def up for up just let me know when :)

Ploughing through the fence / gate might be better than hopping over them with a 10" dob, I can use it as a battering ram :) might need a bit of collimating afterwards!

Yes definitely still up for it. Also open to the idea of a pint or three to plan our attack. (All the best planning meetings are held in pubs, our church men's group does this for all our sessions. Come to think of it, I think we've had more planning meetings than actual events....) A few pints would of course depend on not driving home, so I can thoroughly recommend the Red Lion on Prestwood Road in Wednesfield :)

PS how big's the layby?

I can thoroughly recommend the Red Lion on Prestwood Road in Wednesfield :)

;)i know it... (or the Nickelodeon???)

several laybys - i'm sure we'll get 6+ cars around...

that's why i wanted a 'scout' first, to find the best entry/exit hole in the wall:D etc...

glad you got the 10" dooropener tho:eek: he he

...M

Sign me up too. I'm thinking along similar lines to Julian - don't think Essington will be much darker than my back garden but observing with likeminded people worth travelling for. And occasional trips Long Mynd-wards on 'special' nights - that would be something....

Thought it might be worth us starting to think about dates, as people get nights booked up, and presumably we're looking at going for a weekend when there's no moon. Based on that, these are the next few days when the moon's absent during the evening (on a selfish note I've included dates I wouldn't be able to make due to work :) but obviously we'd have to go with a majority verdict):

Fri/Sat/Sun 15/16/17 Jan (couldn't do 15 or 16)

Fri/Sat/Sun 5/6/7 Feb (couldn't do 6)

Fri/Sat/Sun 12/13/14 Feb

Thought it might be worth us starting to think about dates, as people get nights booked up, and presumably we're looking at going for a weekend when there's no moon. Based on that, these are the next few days when the moon's absent during the evening (on a selfish note I've included dates I wouldn't be able to make due to work :) but obviously we'd have to go with a majority verdict):

Fri/Sat/Sun 15/16/17 Jan (couldn't do 15 or 16)

Fri/Sat/Sun 5/6/7 Feb (couldn't do 6)

Fri/Sat/Sun 12/13/14 Feb

Happy to do most nights, if its clear one weekend even with a bit of moon glow might be worth going over just to get a feel of the site.

:icon_eek:i couldn't make the valentine weekend - i'd get lynched!:)

ANY other weekend should be fine tho, whatever is decided I'll organise a little scouting party the week beforehand (and a beer or three) ?

i'm sure peeps would prefer Fri/Sat??

...M

I may have to miss the first meeting or two I'm afraid, but will definitely make the effort later, once domestic life gets into some kind of routine :)

Michael, sorry for the late answer, the place I linked to in google maps is open access land, moorland, no gates or anything to get locked. Car parking for about twenty cars either side of the road. It's a great spot, been many times, though never at night - too spooky on your own. Quite road too, so there shouldn't be too many passing headlights to wreck your night vision. Definitely a spot to consider for any Shropshire excursions.

I do go away every other weekend, but I am up for any clear Fri/Sat night when I am in the Black Country.

Thanks for putting yourself out, wulfrunian! :)

I know where Essington is, but do you know the post code of the site?

The dates in Feb will be best for me, including valentines, cant think of a better way to spend it, under the stars! sound romantic doesn't it.. thats untill Im out there freezing my butt off!! I might go to telford on the weekend, If I do then I might make a detour to essington and take a look around. If I do then Ill feed back my findings :)

All

I'm around most foreseeable weekends after end of Jan if some kind person/s would be prepared to act as a chauffeur... without putting themselves out of course. I'm sure that some sort of compensation would be in order:)

And subject to my ears recovering... bit painful in this cold and annoying starting every conversation with 'wot', 'pardon' or 'sorry' :)

Also haven't yet got any portable power for the 'beast' yet so won't be encumbered with that just yet!

Andy

I'm going to be in Lancashire on the weekend of the first meeting...but I'll try to make one of the Feb meets...:)

Just drop the Ethos off on your way up ;)

Actually I don't think we've actually agreed any dates yet, I just suggested the moon-free weekends, but as Mark says we can take a trip out there even if it's up :mad:

All

I'm around most foreseeable weekends after end of Jan if some kind person/s would be prepared to act as a chauffeur... without putting themselves out of course. I'm sure that some sort of compensation would be in order:)

And subject to my ears recovering... bit painful in this cold and annoying starting every conversation with 'wot', 'pardon' or 'sorry' :mad:

Also haven't yet got any portable power for the 'beast' yet so won't be encumbered with that just yet!

Andy

If I can work out a way of getting the dob base in the boot then I'll have a spare seat so I'd be happy to - the only time I've transported it so far, it had to go on the passenger seat in the front with the OTA across the back seat. But there's a pile of junk in the boot so I can excavate that first to see if there's room :)

Hi all

I'm in Stafford and would like to get involved too if that's ok. I read the beginnings of this post a while ago but have just caught up with it again and it seems you've found a really convenient site.

I could do the 1st weekend suggest in Feb - away in Jan.

Regards

Steve

Archived