SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wolverhampton - West Mids???

Pollux

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SGL East Mids lot have managed to get a good sized group going. There are enough of us in the West Mids to do something similar. It seems to be a lot easier to just grab the scope from the garage and make the most of those gaps in the cloud from your own back garden, but if there was a clear spell predicted a few days in advance, it would be fun to have a group of people get together.

I had intended to join the Shropshire Astronomy Society, but they have fixed observing nights, once a month. Little chance of hitting a clear night.

I've usually got a bottle of something nice on the go...

:DLulu's it is then!:icon_eek:

...Seriously tho - should be worth looking at. All would be welcome at mine, tho might as well set-up in the middle of Molineux it would be probably darker:eek: lol... (not that bad really)

All have a think? gotsta be somewhere...:)

Let's get something going.

M

How many spare rooms have you got Lulu? - don't think any of us would be driving home :)

Have thought about this before (no, not the Dudley drinking parties), heading out south west into Shropshire looks the best bet, we'd probably get somewhere within 30-45 minutes or so of the sunny Black Country, hopefully equally convenient for our Shropshire cousin(s).

All would be welcome at mine, tho might as well set-up in the middle of Molineux it would be probably darker:eek:

well of course our town and football motto is "out of darkness cometh light"...

Hello there - I'm very new to this and have been lurking around plucking up the courage to even post an intro. I saw this post and would like to ask (quite shyly) that if you do have a Midlands get together, could you let me know? These 'Star Parties' sound quite enchanting (and 'cold' no doubt!) :icon_eek:

An ideal way to make some new, local buddies too - I'm only in Great Wyrley so not too far from Wolves at all.

Thank you so very much! And yes, I will post an intro soon - I've just seen a 'headbanging smilie' that I may find a LOT of use for! :)

I started the East Midlands Stargazers a few months back and we have our first meeting tonight to discuss how the society is going to progress. We have 34 members now and hopefully continue to grow.

The biggest stumbling block is finding somewhere to meet and observe, finding a darksite is a very hard to do.

Caravan sites seem ideal, but need to be booked in advance which is impossible with our weather. All parks and public places are locked with a barrier at night so again cannot gain access. All land belongs to someone so you need permission.

If you need any advice just pm me and good luck with your club.

How far would people be willing to go? (I'm talking distance here, not still on the "dog walking" theme :D) I know Mark's talked about one or two possible sites around Wolverhampton which should be darker than our back gardens. Or we could head over the border into deepest Shropshire, especially with so many from that part of the world on the forum. Seems like there are plenty interested to get something going :)

A thing to consider is that it's not just the 'local' lights. My Northern sky is completely trashed by Birmingham ( 12 miles away). Similar problem caused by Redditch 5 miles East of me. Cannock would also suffer from Birmingham sky-glow in the south. I think Go West.

Long Mynd too far?

The Long Mynd???!!!!

Are you suggesting we go up that terrifying single-track two-way cliff-faced road by choice and at night??????!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :D:eek::):eek::D

(No thanks).;)

The Long Mynd???!!!!

Are you suggesting we go up that terrifying single-track two-way cliff-faced road by choice and at night??????!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :D:eek::):eek::D

(No thanks).:p

Girly wuss :)

Maybe somewhere in that direction but without the white knuckle road ;)

Archived