Narrowband

First glimpse....

Helen

I've managed to get the C11 set up on the EQ6 in the Obs :hello2:

OK, technical correction: I supervised while Mike got the C11 set up on the EQ6 in the Obs :mad:

There was a clear spell this evening (in between torrential rain) so I had to give it a go :(. I managed to get two stars for alignment before the rain came again :p and I had to rush to get the roof back on! So I can say I've had a first glimpse rather than first light. But the glimpse was good :( the collimation seems to have survived the journey very well.

I'm going to need to do a bit more rearranging in the Obs so that I can comfortably walk around it - it takes up MUCH more room than the wedge mounted C8 :icon_eek:.

Can't wait for more clear skies now. The forecast says clear later, but it failed to forecast the earlier rain, so not holding out much hope....

Helen

Photo taken with iphone in badly lit Obs (the black patch is its HUGE shadow on the back wall ;))

post-13020-133877413732_thumb.jpg

That looks fantastic Helen :icon_eek:

I remember getting a shock when I saw a Meade 10" SCT in real life - so much bigger than an 8 - I imagine the 11 must dwarf your C8

Is it for imaging or visual or a bit of both ?

Lets hope for clearer skies soon (that's partly selfish as I'm not that far from you as the crow flies .... !)

John

A Huge Shadow?. Do you mean to say you actually had sunshine :icon_eek:.

My amazement is quite real Helen, as it has rained consistently where I live for weeks and weeks. I'm starting to get depressed, but I know it must stop sometime, so hope is alive.

The big one looks at home in your Obsrvatory. It won't take you long to get it all ready for action.

Looking ahead to some great Images from Wales HQ.:hello2:

Ron.

Well I managed 15 minutes of visual, and now its hammering down again :p

The views in the 15 minutes were great though :mad:. I surfed the clusters in Auriga. In my Megrez 90 I see a fuzzy patch which then starts to resolve the more I look, in the C11 its difficult to get all the stars in the field of view of the 16UWAN :icon_eek: Amazing! Even Mike was wowed! I took a look at the crab and could see it straight away :( (Mike wasn't dark adapted enough to see this though). And Pleiades was too big, even in the 28 UWAN, so had to scroll around with the gamepad (cool!). Decided to take a look at M81/82, but couldn't see anything, then realised it had rapidly clouded over and then serious rain stopped play :(

So off to bed now, but really looking forward to seeing some great sights with this light bucket :hello2:. SteveL - your loss is certainly my gain :( and I know a few of our friends are going to get a lot of enjoyment from this with us too ;)

Helen

That looks fantastic Helen :icon_eek:

I remember getting a shock when I saw a Meade 10" SCT in real life - so much bigger than an 8 - I imagine the 11 must dwarf your C8

Is it for imaging or visual or a bit of both ?

Lets hope for clearer skies soon (that's partly selfish as I'm not that far from you as the crow flies .... !)

John

Thanks John! Yes, its like a very big brother!!

I bought it mainly for visual as it is the most manageable way for me to get aperture. But I also fancy some planetary and lunar photography with it. I'm not sure my conditions are good enough, often enough to be able to image at its native focal length (and my technique isn't there yet either!). But its nice to hold in reserve.

A couple of proper crisp clear nights certainly would lift the spirits!

But the Obs has proved its worth tonight. There's no way I could handle a C11 without it being permanently mounted, and I wouldn't have risked the weather if I hadn't known I could get things under cover in a couple of minutes.

Helen

SteveL - your loss is certainly my gain :icon_eek: and I know a few of our friends are going to get a lot of enjoyment from this with us too :)

The irony of my selling the C11 because it was too big to use without it being in a permenant obsy, only to be given SWMBO approval for an obsy two weeks later is not lost on me <sigh> :eek:

If I have room I'll bring it Lulu and you can certainly have a look! It just depends how cold its going to be, as after last year extra duvets take precedence!

If its any consolation Steve (thinking about it, it won't be consolation :eek:) I think I'm in love!! :icon_eek::D My challenge may be getting back into astrophotography as at the moment all I want to do is LOOK :)

Helen

Archived