SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

filter testing on ngc1502

peter shah

The weather has been .........well all our UK members know about that!.....the one time it clears we have a great big moon in the way. BangHead.gif So this shot really was to kill two birds with one stone, a friend of mine wanted this star photographing(so ignor the markers) and i thought this was an ideal time to do it and test out my replacement filters from Astronomik.....before you all say...i agree there is a little too much sparkle in this shot.......it has been done purely for the customer! courtesy of Noels StarSpikes pro icon_e_wink.gif

Well, my first impressions are that Astronomik have really have got their act together as far as those horrid halos are concerned....even on a very bright star there is a massive difference, but this is a first test of many.

it would nice to hear what you think.

here is one taken with the old fiters

http://www.astropix.co.uk/ps/pages/Pers ... luster.htm

to be honest it was just nice to get out and dust off the cobwebs

cheers peter

post-17181-133877413688_thumb.jpg

Looking better Peter but i`ve moved over to a full set of Baaders, narrow band and LRGB. How parfocal are they? That was my main gripe with Astronomics. These Baaders really are!!!!

Alan:)

Nice pretty pic btw...:icon_eek:

i never had to re-focus between filters, they all looked pretty sharp. That 's at f3.8......

One worry was how well they retained star colour, but that seems good too

im pleased with the results so far.

(i should have posted this thread in the equipment section:BangHead:)

Good stuff Peter :icon_eek:, I'm waiting for my replacement Ha filter to come back from Gerd and along with Mike's (yfronto) test, it looks like I'll be having halo free Ha iimages from now on!

Tony..

i do still get halos with my Ha filter but only on very bright stars here is ic410 taken a few weeks ago in Ha, you can see a halo in the lower right corner....nothing im worried about

post-17181-133877413724_thumb.jpg

Agreed Peter, nice to be out at all!

I'm glad that the new filters put those haloes to bed, they really did spoil some great images.

It would be interesting to put the Baader Ha up against the new Astronomik Ha in a direct comparison, on the same star, same night same kit to see if there is any difference.

I like the fact that the Baaders are parofocal with the narrowband filters as well, which means that I can load my 8 position filter wheel and not have to worry about them.

nice 410 btw :icon_eek:

Tim

i do still get halos with my Ha filter but only on very bright stars here is ic410 taken a few weeks ago in Ha, you can see a halo in the lower right corner....nothing im worried about

Indeed you do Peter, but as you say it's only the brightest of stars. Certainly a lot better than the old one!

Nice tadpoles BTW :icon_eek:.

Tony..

The tadpoles were a while back now at least two months....i havent finished it yet i need some colour data....but to be honest there is so much coming into view and so little in the way of clear skies i might not finish it until next time around

here is a second part of my test....a very quick and dirty process with no darks.....if i was going to get halos it will be with M45....the sky was hazy and this is only 10mins each in RGB,.....slight evidence of halos but nothing im worried about

shame the weather hasnt held out....i was hoping for more subs :)

post-17181-133877414323_thumb.jpg

post-17181-133877414333_thumb.jpg

Nice results Peter.

I am very pleased with the results I have got with my replacement Ha filter, like you say only small halos on the brightest stars.

I am shooting some colour now for a Hart neb shot and the new weak point in my filters is the blue filter (halos), I am right in thinking that there may also be a problem with a batch of blue filters?

Here's a crop and maxim screen strech of a star from the first four blue subs from tonight

Mike.

post-13376-133877414336_thumb.jpg

Archived