Narrowband

It's been a long time coming, here's my new scope: Sky-Watcher 130P

AgentSmythe

When I was a young lad of 17 I saved all my pennies and bought a Fullerscope 6 1/4" Newtonian and enjoyed it immensely. As a chap in my twenties I became involved in beer, cars and women and sadly the scope just sat in the corner of my room gathering dust. Needing to progress in life I sold the scope (fool!) and put the money in to a savings account. Many years later and I still regret selling the old girl :icon_eek:

Anyway, thanks to progress decent scopes are a lot less expensive than they were and so I after many months deliberating I've finally jumped back in and bought this (many thanks to FLO, scope was out of stock but as soon as it came in I got it in next to no time:)). I was even lucky enough to escape the curse of a new scope as the skies were clear all evening so I got first light on the first day of ownership!

post-17848-133877413395_thumb.jpg

post-17848-133877413403_thumb.jpg

post-17848-133877413409_thumb.jpg

post-17848-133877413416_thumb.jpg

post-17848-133877413423_thumb.jpg

It looks just great, and you are going to have a great experience with it. I hope the skies stay clear for you, I'm sure they will.

Let us have some feedback on your first observations. If you are not too excited that is.:hello2:

Enjoy.

Ron.:icon_eek:

Let us have some feedback on your first observations. If you are not too excited that is
It'll take a couple of weeks for the clouds that escaped from the box when you opened it to disperse.:(Sadly I'm not joking :icon_eek:

It'll take a couple of weeks for the clouds that escaped from the box when you opened it to disperse.:(Sadly I'm not joking :hello2:

HehHeh!, I know, but we live in hope.

I don't need reminding about rain. Cumbria has had a years worth in a month.:icon_eek:

It looks just great, and you are going to have a great experience with it. I hope the skies stay clear for you, I'm sure they will.

Let us have some feedback on your first observations. If you are not too excited that is.:hello2:

Enjoy.

Ron.:icon_eek:

Thanks Ron et al,

I was so excited I didn't know where to look first! I had a quick glimpse of the moon, it was too bright so I will now be purchasing a moon filter so as I don't burn my retinas out in the future. As the moon was so bright it was washing most of the sky out so there was only so much to look at. I paid a brief visit to Auriga and used Capella to tweak the red dot sight. It was then off to visit the Pleiades, I spent quite a bit of time here as I'd forgotten how stunning this 'little' group of stars was. Also had a quick scoot round Cassiopeia and a little look at Polaris too. The scope gives nice clear images too, the eyepieces supplied with it are fine although I may invest in some better ones at a later date. The tripod is nice and stable and isn't that heavy to move about. All I've got to do now is find a nice little case for all my eyepieces and all the other bobbins.

I really need to find a dark sky site as even though I'm living in a small village there is still light pollution from streetlights and other sources.

And yes, the curse of the new scope has only been delayed! I awoke to howling winds and rain rattling against the windows. The weather radar shows it's going to clear but there are showers on their way, ho hum! At least it gives me more time to read up on the constellations!

Simon

• 3 months later...

Congratulations on your purchase! I have this scope too and I love it. I was able to see some fantastic objects using it and think it's an absolute bargain considering it's performance.

Looking forward to your observation reports!

Archived