Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear night... but not stars?

cloud9

Well basically im a bit confused because here in Kent we've had a really sunny clear day (very cold though) and when the sun set this evening there were no clouds in the sky. I just looked out and like earlier there were seemingly no clouds in the sky but i couldnt see any stars. The Moon is perfectly clear but i cannot see Rigel for some reason and it should be right in my line of sight.

Ill have a look later when Sirius is up. Im just annoyed really because this afternoon i was confident of having a good night out with the stars and that all seems to have been ruined now :icon_eek:

thanks very much. Looking on the website there seems to be a little bit of cloud but nothing that wouldn't stop me from seeing Rigel because i see it most nights when i have a peek out whether its bad weather or not.

edit: Its just started to rain here ffs. grrrr

Not sure about the Geminids but im keeping my fingers crossed because the weather is super at the moment where i am. No doubt the cloud will roll in as i write this but its looking really good for the night at the moment.

A really good view again tonight at 11.00, with Orion right in front (slightly to the right of me), and Sirius dominating the sky. There is so much detail on the moon tonight, that I almost missed something else in the East. Is that Mars again around 7degs East above the Moon?

I will download Stellarium tomorrow (honest), because I really do not know what I am looking at now.

Solid cloud here, not very inspiring. The only plus, is that with the help of a few very patient (above and beyond the call of duty) people on here, I now have Stellarium installed.

The next step in the New Year is to try to buy a telescope.

Andy

Archived