Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

S.P.O.G December Meet

Milliways

As discussed the meeting will be at Bratton camp at Westbury on the 18th of december.

If anyone needs directions give me a shout on 07922660941

The long awaited update lol.

Sorry for not getting back guys.. had a few family probs. I went up there the other night to have a look to see what it is like at night.. its not too bad, there is a bit of LP from westbury and trowbridge but not a huge amount.. i could still see the milkyway easy enough even with the moon shining. I went up there again today but was stopped in my tracks as a digger and shuttering is on the track, the shuttering there is used for deep drainage so i dont know if that entrance is closed for a while anyhoo there is another way up lol. the best place i have found to set up is a carpark ontop of the hill and there is a huge field there aswell.. WINDY AS HELL THOUGH, i will go up again tomorrow to scout for another place where the wind isnt so bad.. To be continued!.

Thanks for the e-mail Jon, will get the chart finished and will be ready for the day :icon_eek:

Dave.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, thats where i was the other day, but the winds up there a very strong (thinkin about the wind chill too lol) .. we can try there if you want, or meet ontop of that hill just outside of mere, the wind there wasnt that bad.. Up to you guys.

Hi all

Wind chill will be a definite factor at Bratton Camp. Unless we view closer to Salisbury Plain behind the car park, there is little cover I remember.

We should make a firm decision tomorrow night whether to go ahead to view there, or switch to Whitesheet Hill nr Kilmington, or back to Tilshead. One advantage of Whitesheet Hill is that there is a car park half way up the track, which is more sheltered, or Tilshead which is sheltered anyway.

If anyone is coming to Stonehenge for the IYA event starting tomorrow, Andy Burns Chairman of Wiltshire Astronomical Society, myself and others will be there each day including Saturday.

Please PM Gliderpilot or myself for our mobile numbers for directions :)

Jon

I would say to switch to Whitesheet Hill, and try out the carpark. My worry with bratton camp is that if were up there and its -5 plus wind we will get fed-up father quickly. and i have to admit the skies over whitesheet hill is best i have seen around these parts. Also there is a pub to meet at too.

Nick, No worries mate :) Thanks for the invite... Give us a shout when the next one is and i'll be there! (hopefully with charlii in tow) need to get her back into astro lol.

Dave.

I think we are agreed - Whitesheet Hill it is. The meeting place is the Red Lion at Kilmington BA12 6RP.

Last time we found that the pub car park was full. Whitesheet Lane, which takes us up to the observing site, is immediately adjacent to the pub and there is limited parking roadside here, but about 20 yards further along the road is another lay by.

Please PM me if you would like further directions or a mobile number :)

Jon

Archived