SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which guide Scope?

Out of these three scopes, which would be best as a guide scope/wide field imaging scope to compliment my 80DS Pro, using a QHY5 as a guide cam.

1.Skywatcher Equinox 66

2.William Optics Megrez 72

3.Skywatcher Startravel 80

I understand that the ST80 is the cheapest of the three, but it seem that most are using this particular scope to guide with. I could also use it as a grab and go set up with a suitable tripod. Also how would I mount it on top of my 80DS Pro, I have a spare dovetail bar that I have mounted on top of the 80DS Pro supporting ring. Any thought or advice very appreciated.

I use the ST-80/ QHY combo - works very well and cost effective.

If you have a dovetail already on the 80DS why not mount the ST-80 with a couple of rings? You really don't need guide rings; the FOV will always give you a guide star.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I recently got an Ian king imaging 70mm, which I beleive is the william optics 70 but unbranded. I love it as I can use it for imaging as well as a manual guider piggybacked on my SW200P. In fact I find I'm imaging with the 70 more than the 200:D

Great price too, and packs into its own case (very small) easy to take away with you.

Scott

I'm using pretty much the same config as Ken. Except, I've got the C80ED instead, and a Konus version of the ST80, and I'm mounted side by side :)... However, the ST80 is small, light, packs into a maplins flight bag along with ep's etc for adventuring. The OTA version sells with tube rings and a dovetail too.

One other scope that would make a great guidescope is the Star Sky 90. A lightweight achro at 1.9 Kg and comes with a crayford focuser and retractable dewshield. Decent sharp optics as well and only £149.00. Not as good as the WO or Equinox but much better than the Startravel 80.and considering the price it's a good deal.

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Telescopes-Ascension.asp?p=0_10_1_6_110

John

If you're looking for a scope that'll do guiding and imaging duties, I'd go with the M72 out of the three you have listed. The ST80 would be fine for guiding, but it's not a scope that'll provide you with great images.

Why not look out for a secondhand Zenithstar 66? They do imaging and guiding well and now they've been discontinued, not overly expensive either (not that they were expensive new!).

As for mounting, I use a side by side bar because it gives me flexibility so I can use different scopes.

Tony..

• 2 weeks later...

I do guide with an ST80 on one mount but the star images are horrible and I sometimes wonder if the centroids are all that easy for the software to find. On the other hand it's f5, which is good. You would certainly not want to look through it, it's awful! I'd go for one of the others and get a double use out of it. A second hand edition of something decent would be my choice - eg the lovely TeleVue Pronto I bought from Ben for under £300 or any of the small WOs, etc.

Olly

Archived