SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any Music That You Associate With Astronomy?

Wedge

Hi, My first post in this community :) I hope to stay for a long time.

I've listened to alot of ambient and minimal for the past years, and I have to say, if none of you have hear Benn Jordan's Pale Blue Dot, you NEED to hear it. It's a tribute to Carl Sagan, and the best ambient album i've ever heard.

The first track "Looking upwards" is like a dream come true

Benn Jordan - Looking Upwards - YouTube

but "Floating Vacuum" is my favorite track. Just sublime.

Benn Jordan - Floating Vacuum - YouTube

and then of course John Murphys score to sunshine:

Mercury Transits The Sun [HD] - YouTube

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My god what a load of old hippies, you'll all start banging on about Gong next (have I let the cat out of the bag?)

Cup Of tea anyone! I remember The Octave Doctors and the Crystal Machine. That particular track entered my sphere of consciousness at some point on my journey around the sun.

Did anyone mention Steve Hillage yet?

War of the Worlds part 1 (minus Richard Burton) was played before a Planetarium show when I was a kid. Always think about space when I hear it, as you would anyway.

Also Ron's piece from Jean-Michel Jarre's Rendevous album.

Astronaut Ron Mcnair was due to play the saxaphone live with J-M J before the Space shuttle Challenger disaster.

I know its related to astrology, but since there are constellations mentioned in the titles, I associate it with astronomy, that and the overall name of the set of works reminds me of Carl Sagan: George Crumb's Mikrokosmos.

Cup Of tea anyone! I remember The Octave Doctors and the Crystal Machine. That particular track entered my sphere of consciousness at some point on my journey around the sun.

Did anyone mention Steve Hillage yet?

God yeah, the album green, and Pink Floyd and Hawkwind, and Tangerine Dream and....

Anyone for some Here and Now?

Well putting aside the 'Voyager - Sounds of the Cosmos' albums and anything cliche 'space' related (Mr Bowie anyone?!!) I tend to listen/think of these:

Where Happiness Lives - Magnet

Once Around The Block - Badly Drawn Boy

Adagio For Strings - Samuel Barber

Faillng - Kate Rusby

Human - The Killers

Aisha - Death In Vegas

Ex-Cowboy - Mogwai

Exogenesis Symphony 3 - Muse. VIDEO LINK

WATCH IT!!!!

Orion - Metallica

How To Save A Life - The Fray

As 'popular' as the series is, I really recommend the Wonders of the Universe soundtrack. some of the musical pieces are a little short but there's some gems in there. 'Symphony of Light' is excellent and each note feels like a photon escaping the sun and making it's way to us. 'The Iguzao Falls' is another epic one from that sound track

LINK - Wonders of the Universe | Soundtrack by Sheridan Tongue

My god what a load of old hippies, you'll all start banging on about Gong next (have I let the cat out of the bag?)

Indeed! Solar Musick Suite from the album Fish Rising by Steve Hillage, also Magick Brother Mystik Sister by Gong! Soft Bulltin by Flaming Lips, a song called Magic Fly by Space, which is a 70's electro song, and lots of music by the band Air :)

I do think Steve Hackett would be superb to listen to also.

This is all getting very Prog. I've seen Steve Hackett a couple of times after he went solo, about 79-80ish. I met him and his brother John a couple of times, a nice bloke. I've met quite a few of the blokes in Hawkwind too. I stayed with Nick Turner for a while in the 80s, last time I saw him was at a Miles Davis gig, he bought me a pint! I had a lovely day with Bob Calvert too in the 80s, about 85 I think, he did an interview with me when I had a pirate radio station on the go, a lovely man, I was so sad when we died. Did I ever tell you about the time...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Archived