Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Wedge

Any Music That You Associate With Astronomy?

Also some music by Bach gives me a very similar feeling of deep time and immense space,

Alan

And Eno's 'Apollo:Atmospheres and Soundtracks'

Edited by Tantalus

Daft Punk Interstellar 5555 was a good call second post in or basically Discovery as that was the original release.

Muse would have to be up there as one of the more spacey bands, basically everything by them except their latest offering.

I've never listened to music whilst observing but I would have to go along with the popular choice of Pink Floyd. I think Meddle or Animals would be my choice.

I was listening to Steve Hillage the other night- reliving my hippy past you see- it struck me that the album 'Green' was a good listen for astronomy. The Glorious Om Riff would be good.

Generally though I prefer silence but I can put up with CG5 owners grinding coffee with their mounts if I have to :)

I was listening to Steve Hillage the other night- reliving my hippy past you see- it struck me that the album 'Green' was a good listen for astronomy. The Glorious Om Riff would be good. :)

Begads! That brings back memories. Cat number Virgin v2098 IIRC. 'I talk to the trees...' :)

I'm a real music nut so dead chuffed to have re-ignited this thread. Am now looking forward to checking out all these new tunes.

Just thought of another cracker ...'Pleiades' by King's X.

" I`ve got 99 problems but collimation ain`t one" JayZ.

I've never listened to music whilst observing but I would have to go along with the popular choice of Pink Floyd. I think Meddle or Animals would be my choice.

Awesome choice, sir. :)

Early electronic music by Tangerine Dream-particularly the albums Alpha Centauri and Zeit.

A lot of their early music has a cosmic feel to it.

51kcCgrpzjL._SS500_.jpg

Great, that's a third album I'll try and listen to tonight. :)

Theres some good toons on Tangerine Dreams - Stratosfear album as well.

I did listen to Bach more often than not years ago when observing - partly because some of his work is on the gold record on Voyager but also I hoped that the precsion if not the genius would be contagious.

Generally though I like the quiet whirr of the mounts motors and the stead clink of eyepieces being put in and removed against near silence or just the sound of the breeze.

I quite like the sounds of nature whilst out observing, but I'm shocked and stunned that no one has mentioned 'star girl' by McFly. Absolutely rife with astro references......(stifles sniggering)

Just noticed you can download 'Sunshine (Music from the Motion Picture)' off of iTunes. There's some great stuff on there and 'Sunshine (Adagio in D Minor)' is epic. Apologies if anyone's already pointed this out!

Recently I've started using a lot of classic piano & violin music as I find it easier to concentrate on what I'm doing with such music than pop, rock and the other genres

Not just only Neptune but the whole of Holst`s music for the Planets is fantastic.

It is a common misconception that Holst's Planet Suite is astromony related. The Planet Suite is astrological.

Peter

Recently I've started using a lot of classic piano & violin music as I find it easier to concentrate on what I'm doing with such music than pop, rock and the other genres

Observing The Pleiades with 'Stars' (Brian Eno) through the headphones is a truly magical experience!

I'm gonna say "Postcards from iO" by Charlene Soraia, taken from her debut album "Moonchild".

" I`ve got 99 problems but collimation ain`t one" JayZ.

that made me giggle....thanks