Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any Music That You Associate With Astronomy?

Wedge

Hi,

Just a random topic, but does anyone have a song which reminds them of astronomy? Perhaps you were listening to it when you saw a meteor or tracked down that elusive faint and fuzzy?

For me, It's Five O'Clock by Aphrodite's Child reminds me of a night time flight back from New York when I looked out of the plane window and was AWESTRUCK by how many stars there were and how bright the Milky Way was!! :hello2:

It just came up on iTunes and I was interested if anyone had similar experiences? :icon_eek:

Remy

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Poppiholla' by Chicane reminds me of lying on a beach in the Dominican earlier on in the year, watching the sun set and the stars start to come out, Jupiter was really high up.

'Drops of Jupiter' by Train reminds me of a time when things were particularly tough and my nights out under the stars got me through it. :icon_eek:

Lets see

REM - Its the End of the Word As We Know it & I Feel Fine (ID4 & SETI link)

& Daft Punks Discovery Album (interstella 5555) - its the album i usually have playing on my mp3 when out stargazing.

Those are the songs that first come to mind, i'm sure there are others. i'll have a think & see what else I can come up with

I've had 'Macquarie Ridge' by Boards of Canada bouncing round my head all day which has triggered memories of good nights under the stars, but it also reminds me of Scotland so I guess it just reminds me of happy times :icon_eek:.

Tony..

While these are not, genre-wise my musical taste particularly at all there are two pieces of music that are inextricably linked to astronomy in my mind. The first is called "At the Castle Gate" by Sibelius, better known as the theme tune to "The Sky at Night" and the second is a piece called "Also sprach Zarathustra" by Richard Straus which was the theme music for the Apollo missions TV coverage and features in the file 2001 - A Space Odyssey.

That latter piece (which I've only recently found the proper name for) just sums up the grandeur of the universe for me.

Sorry if thats a rather dull response but there it is :icon_eek:

John

Jean Michelle Jarre - Oxygen part V i think. I went to the Planetarium in London in 1987 and they used that music as the background theme......it was very well chosen, really had an astronomy sound to it.

ELO - Anything from Mr Blue Sky - we were playing this all the time at Astro Camp in 1987/8. It now reminds me of that time.

Just a random topic, but does anyone have a song which reminds them of astronomy?

Dashing off through space

In a warp-8 starship sleigh

O'er the stars we go

Laughing all the way

Bells on mobiles ring

Making friends see near

What fun it is to laugh and sing

A star trek song tonight

Also,

YouTube - Klaatu - Calling Occupants

Ground control to major tom by david bowie and war of the worlds :icon_eek::hello2:

Which inspired

YouTube - PETER SCHILLING - Major Tom (Coming Home) (Extended Version) - 1984

Blade Runner Soundtrack.

(good call with Jean Michelle Jarre forgot about that one, i'm sure it in me itunes somewhere)

Failing that i usually bash on a few of my Gatecrasher cds (headphones of course) the ones where they put a third cd of chillout mixes. Reach for the lazers, big phish little phish that kinda thing...

Oh yeah shopping trolley and cardboard box....

OK - I really like Pink Floyd, and most of their music has a grand, "universe" feel, so I always seem to have one of their tunes in my mind when observing...

I remember becoming absolutely entranced with "Neptune" by Holst when the astronomy bug first hit me. It seems to encapsulate mystery, the vast distances of the objects we see with our humble telescopes, and even the ancient feel of the light that reaches our eyes..

Archived