Narrowband

Oh my golly gosh! Jupiter.

Wiltshiresaint

A lovely clear night tonight so out I went to look for M36 (again) in Auriga with my bins, but a very bright Moon meant I met with disappointment.

However, whilst I was out there I thought I'd have my first play with the remote control I'd bought and attached to my Canon DSLR, and snap a few 30 second exposures of Jupiter.

These would be the first photos I've ever taken of the night sky. I tried to focus as well as possible by taking a quick shot, then zooming in on the result to see if I was there or thereabouts. Seemed to work, so I clicked off 8 x 30 second exposures, 800 ISO.

I knew my results would be amateurish in the extreme but if nothing else I thought I could have a play in Lynkeos with them. Well, didn't really understand what I was doing in Lynkeos but I was rather pleased with myself when I saw that Jupiter was clearly showing as a disk, not a pinpoint of light. Too much to hope to get a moon or two as well but a good start.

Just need to find out how to use Lynkeos properly now.

post-17706-133877412233_thumb.jpg

Hmmm. Having calmed down a little now and after reading through a few more threads here, I'm not so sure that the 'disk' of Jupiter (which doesn't show up so well at the resolution limit of images posted here) isn't simply down to the image being over-exposed in that area...

I wonder if I'd have been better taking more images of shorter exposure times?

Hi WS,

At a guess, that's the motion of the Earth showing up. If you look closely, you can see that all the star shapes are elongated top left to bottom right. Even in 30 seconds, you get field rotation.

Have a look at this post that shows it.... http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/91383-exposure-time-slr-plain-tripod.html#post1323387

Archived