Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark sky observing in Beds, Bucks, Cambs area

DarkerSky

Hi folks...

Frustrated by the effects of light pollution coming from nearby Luton, I thought I'd start a thread to see if there is anyone in a reasonable distance from me suffering the same with LP, or faring any better with a darker sky. My limiting magnitude at the best of times is about 4.5. Does anyone have a decent dark sky location that they go to for observing?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stef - great to hear from you. Sounds like you might have slightly darker skies than me. Have you ever been up on the Chilterns observing? I've wondered about going up there to find a reasonable spot. Never been up there in the dark though so I've no idea how dark it could be

Also I've just looked at the map. You seem to have alot of empty land (surely that means darker skies?) to the north west of you, towards Milton Brian and Evershot.. Is there not a nice farmer who might let you do some legal trespassing that way?

You've got Luton, Stevenage and Letchworth to the south and east, and they're quite 'bright' towns. I'm in Hitchin so Stevenage affects me quite badly.

I've observed from Ashwell once, you still get LP to the West (from the towns mentioned above) but the east and south are definitely darker.

Also I've just looked at the map. You seem to have alot of empty land (surely that means darker skies?) to the north west of you, towards Milton Brian and Evershot.. Is there not a nice farmer who might let you do some legal trespassing that way?

That's where my search has been so far. It is a bit darker for sure but MK glow to the NW is a pain. Good idea about talking to a farmer though - hadn't thought of that :icon_eek:

You've got Luton, Stevenage and Letchworth to the south and east, and they're quite 'bright' towns. I'm in Hitchin so Stevenage affects me quite badly.

I've observed from Ashwell once, you still get LP to the West (from the towns mentioned above) but the east and south are definitely darker.

Looking at the map I'd imagine it gets darker still the more NE you go til you get to the lights of Cambridge. Not been out that way, but I think I will to see what it is like (when time and weather are on my side !) :icon_eek:

There are plenty of Light Pollution maps on the net and even google earth I believe has the facility to filter light pollution. You'll notice on any map, that your area which follows the M1 corridor is pretty light polluted

If you do fancy a trip a little out of your way, I would definitely recommend my way (near Peterborough). If you go up the a1(M) and come off somewhere between Huntingdon and Peterborough there are some really good skies. They show the milkyway and on most light pollution maps show as having dark skies. I've yet to find a permanent spot for some dark sky observing, however I'm currently trying to get the email addresses of a few farmers I know live in that patch.

If I'm successful I am happy to try and get you similar permission if you were to ever head up this way. (though do wear wellies, it's very muddy up in the fens!).

Without too much travel, what is in the Barton Le Clay area? Lilley is too close to Luton, but the other side of Lilley there are some small villages that may offer better light pollution. The hills will offer protection also.

Problem is that there are a lot of towns spread around the area at regular intervals so you will always get influenced by one or another, or several all at once. As best I can see until you get quite a distance North and East it is damage limitation.

The only realistic option is to go and drive round and take a look for potential places during the day then revisit when dark to see what they are actuall like.

You will find places as you don't have to be too far out for the LP to drop. I was looking at the milky way just south west of Cambridge 2 weeks ago and it was pretty good. I had simply stopped in a layby on the A1198 just north of Royston.

For Ian: Have you visited Cottered on the A507 Baldock to Buntingford? There is a big village hall there with a big car park and the village has no street lights, well none switched on. Just wondering if they would mind you setting up in the car park without having to use any of the village hall facilities? Also I am interested in the road immediatly off to the left after the bridge out of Baldock, think it may go to a "airfield" used for model aircraft.

There was a program described in last month's AN that you can download from t'internet. It shows what the sky should look like in your area. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but if it works well, it could save a lot of mileage by just putting in the post code of where you want to test for a dark sky.

Stef

There are plenty of Light Pollution maps on the net and even google earth I believe has the facility to filter light pollution. You'll notice on any map, that your area which follows the M1 corridor is pretty light polluted

If you do fancy a trip a little out of your way, I would definitely recommend my way (near Peterborough). If you go up the a1(M) and come off somewhere between Huntingdon and Peterborough there are some really good skies. They show the milkyway and on most light pollution maps show as having dark skies. I've yet to find a permanent spot for some dark sky observing, however I'm currently trying to get the email addresses of a few farmers I know live in that patch.

If I'm successful I am happy to try and get you similar permission if you were to ever head up this way. (though do wear wellies, it's very muddy up in the fens!).

I'll definately bear that in mind, Stuart. If you do get permission then Im certainly interested to know how you get on. Huntigdon is def not too far to go

There is a group which meets in Charlveston way, off the A45?

i am in Olney myself, hampered with LP from MK plus afew local pesky lamps in the street.

Perhaps we, the midlands stargazers and a few of the nene valley crew might be able to arrange something?

I went through Olney on Friday in daylight - wondered how dark the surroundings got, but I guess you are still too close to MK. Would certainly be interested in any observing jaunts going on around n about in Northants

I've got awful light pollution in Higham Ferrers.

Kettering, Wellingborough and Northampton all adding to my woes.

But get in the car and drive a few miles east, past Chelveston and the skies are a lot darker.

Hi Daz,

Thanks for the tip - at the Nov meeting someone I was talking to mentioned about Daisy Banks. Is there anything organised to go on up there for BAS in the next couple of months? What sort of limiting magnitude can you get up there?

Thanks,

Seb

• 4 weeks later...
I visit Amersham way quite often with work and always think that the skies there must be great in the Chilterns, though I've never been at night.

I live in a small town quite near Amersham - between it and High Wycombe, and I struggle with LP, to be honest. It's not great. Tonight was very clear though and I'm sure it was Uranus I saw pretty clearly naked-eye. It's magnitude 6 according to Stellarium...

I've wondered about going out into the smaller villages though...

I was up in the Peak District a few weeks ago, wandering about at 1:00am, and, oh man, I nearly wept!! I could barely make out the constellations - too many stars!

• 4 years later...

Hi I know I'm reviving an old email trail but perhaps it's still relevant. In Berkshire there is a lot of light pollution but there are also darker corners. I've found a couple of suitable spots west of Reading, first by looking at the light pollution maps and then 'going there' with google streetview. I saved an afternoon of driving around west berks/ Wiltshire because I could see exactly how the countryside lies without even leaving home. So - before you drive around looking for car parks at night - try streetview first! Graeme

I wonder if Haynes West-End, just south of Wilstead, just west of the A6 might be OK. The green sand ridge should shield you from the worst of Bedford and MK, Ampthill's not very close and there are no big settlements directly south or east. I seem to remember a triangular grass road island which may be usable (as the road is quiet, only having traffic from Houghton Conquest up to "The Four Winds" A6 intersection.

This may have changed as I've not been up there for some years and not regularly since I moved out of Houghton Conquest in the early 80s.

I've got awful light pollution in Higham Ferrers.

Kettering, Wellingborough and Northampton all adding to my woes.

But get in the car and drive a few miles east, past Chelveston and the skies are a lot darker.

Dave 

I live in Rushden just down the road from you. I've often thought of looking east of here one night as it looks as if should be a good area. Perhaps you could PM me if you know of some sites?

Cheers

Kerry 

For those living in the Rushden area, I wonder if the area west of Grafham Water would be a good location, or maybe the edge of the farmland around old Kimbolton airfield. Should be as far from all the local towns as possible I would have thought.

Yes, I used to live around there too, after I left Houghton Conquest. :-)

Hello Stephen

I think you are right and I plan to do a recce around there one of these nights. We actually stayed in a cottage near Kimbolton last year - we like faraway holidays! It was on the edge of the old airfield and I think it could be quite dark. The cottage itself overlooked Kimbolton school where the floodlights for the hard play areas stayed on all night for reasons best known to them, and they rather killed the dark skies, but away from that source I think things would be much better because there are no other towns for some distance

Kerry

Hello Stephen

I think you are right and I plan to do a recce around there one of these nights. We actually stayed in a cottage near Kimbolton last year - we like faraway holidays! It was on the edge of the old airfield and I think it could be quite dark. The cottage itself overlooked Kimbolton school where the floodlights for the hard play areas stayed on all night for reasons best known to them, and they rather killed the dark skies, but away from that source I think things would be much better because there are no other towns for some distance

Kerry

I'm afraid that even as an alumnus of Kimbolton School I can't get them to turn the lights off. ;-)

Rushdon is not far from the St Neots Astro Club that meet at Paxton Pits, they have a reasonably dark site.

As said previously try Grafam Water, I do not know the arrangements for the car parks but I would have expected that at night you could set up in or close to one of them.

I think there may actually be access to the concrete road/walkway of the dam at the South East corner if I recall from a few visits up there. Thinking you may be able to use the pathway/cycle path to set up on.

Will say I have no idea how dark it is.

Archived