Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are Saturns rings visible in 15x70 bins?

tenbyfifty

I've been thinking about buying some 15x70 bins and was a bit taken aback when I read in the latest issue of SkyatNight Magazine that you could make out Saturn's rings at this small magnification . Through my Skylux 70 mm scope I get a very small

image of Saturn with the rings just visible using a 10mm EP ie 70x mag. Even with an ETX 90 (generously lent to me by Damian Greaves) at 125 mag Saturn is still very small and I wouldn't say the Cassini division leaps out at you. Anybody seen Saturn's rings through big bins?  :D:saturn: :?:(you see what I did?)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I have seen Saturn as elongated or elliptical but have never been able to separate rings from planet with my Strathspey 17x50; and that's using a fairly stable p-mount and tripod too.

As far as I'm aware, they are pretty well aligned or collimated and my eyesight is not particularly bad (if the Roman armies naked eye Mizar/Alcor test is anything to go by) :rolleyes:

Tony

James, you must have some of Steve Austins upgrades fitted :rolleyes::D or a second home on Mars :D am jellous :D

TbF, I saw Saturn in my 12x50s a while back (it's still miles away from us but getting nearer by the day) it looked like one of those sherbert filled flyin saucers - so 15x70s SHOULD show you a lot more - you should at least see enough to recognise it easilly. Just picked up some old 20x50s dead cheap so will have a bash with them as soon as the clear stuff returns. Best of luck.

Spooky! The thread that came back from the dead.

I could believe that at 20x you could make out that Saturn is not spherical but I'm sceptical at 15x.

On the other hand I take off my glasses to look through a scope so it could be true for the more eaagle eyed

among us.

Tried my 12s again last night, Saturn looked JUST like a sherbert filled flying saucer like I said before - unfortunately so did beatlejuice and everything else up there... oh dear :rolleyes: No such trouble with the dirt cheap 20's though, and even with the moon painting the sky in an interesting new colour called hint of blindingly pale blue, M42 was a peach - trap n all! :D Result.

What make is that James?

It's made in Japan and has the Marking ( V ) on enscribed on it also this is 0.96 fitting(I have it in an adapter to 1.25") my guess is this was made in the late 70s...?

sherbert filled flying saucer like

Not them again :shock: :rolleyes:

James

Just picked up some old 20x50s dead cheap so will have a bash with them as soon as the clear stuff returns. Best of luck.

Its ok, I'm currrently lending a scope which gives me quite a nice view of Saturn. If I bought 15x70s it'd be for the superior light gathering over my 10x50s. Its just that I read a review a while back of some 15x70s and the author said he could

see the rings - I found it hard to believe because when I got my skylux 70mm and used a 40mm ep - giving a mag of

700/40 = 17.5, I could make out that Saturn was non-spherical - 'seeing the rings' is a bit of an exaggeration.

Even with a 10mm ep the image was still very small though the rings were apparent.

BTW, do I get a lollipop or a tube of smarties for 100 posts?

To mark my 100th post I've decided to let you in on my own theory about the two great issues in modern cosmology.

Its a complex idea and I don't expect ordinary punters to understand it , or its implications, straight away.

I've also changed my avatar to reflect the gravitas, maturity and higher level of consciousness that 100 posts has bestowed upon me.

Ok here's the theory:

DARK MATTER = BLACK PUDDING

DARK ENERGY = GUINNESS - extra cold, ofcourse, due to the effects of deep space.

The mathematics behind this theory is extremely dense and probably only a handful of people are qualified to understand it, so I won't bother explaining it here. I'm expecting a call from the Nobel committee any day now so I'll let you know how things go.

Archived