Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light speed

markystars

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All these thing i never new about! There is soo much to read and learn. I know the inflation theory suggests that the universe exploded for a miniscule time, faster than light speed, if this is correct then that also would prove that light speed is not the fastest speed do-able. As we evolve and become cleverer (not me), we seem to be learning more and more, perhaps in 1000 years time our ancestors will laugh at us for thinking light speed was "fast"

Yes a wormhole would be a good way to travel, you never know, they may yet find one in the LHC experiments. I hear today they have broken the power record by firing the particle beams beyond 1 trillion electron volts making it the worlds highest energy particle accelerator

so if we are all travelling at the speed of light, then when i start running, am i going faster?

If you start running, your speed through spacetime remains constant - the speed of light. However, because more of this speed is through space, your speed through time will slow. If your legs were strong enough and your space speed approached lightspeed then your passage through time, from our point of view, would slow down towards zero.

I like that picture, PeterMammoth! Gaining speed is like rotating in 4 dimensions. And then you can understand gravity and the warping of spacetime in pictures, too! What happens is time gets bent into the space dimensions so something that is "stationary" (velocity purely in time direction) starts moving (velocity in time and space).

Archived