SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1st Moon Snap

Shibby

Here's my first attempt at a moon image, taken with a Nikon D70 through Skywatcher 130P

moon-EC.jpg

I think the "25mm Super" eyepiece has introduced some notably bad chromatic aberration. Can anyone recommend an eyepiece that doesn't suffer from this so much? I'm considering getting a Baader Hyperion some day...

Hi. Shibby,

How did you take the picture? Did you hold the camera to the eyepiece by hand, or was the camera attached via a projection adapter. It appears the shot has suffered from a bit of movement, and or focus problems.

Don't be too bothered with this first attempt, you will improve as you develop the right technique for Lunar Imaging. I've converted it to greyscale, and tampered a bit with the sharpening, contrast/brightness. Not brilliant, but a little better.:headbang:

Ron.

post-13213-133877411477_thumb.jpg

hi shibby, for a first time pic its not a bad attempt. things as they say can only get better. what i do with my pics to get rid of the blue halo is to edit the pic to black & white. then tweek the contrast, light-infill and shadow. try if you have picasa, or windows photo edit (not sure about the last ones name) or there are free i/n downloads that allow you to rotate and mirror your image to correct orientation. but keep taking the photos and do post them on this site, you will always get a constructive comment. well done.

barkis: That looks good thanks, there's definitely more detail visible in the lower part of the image. The camera was attached with an eyepiece projection adapter.

Focus problem is likely as there were only about 10 minutes of clear sky to attempt the picture! But looking forward to trying again...

Archived