Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What would you do?

A few years ago I bought myself a Solarview 50. It was a bit of an indulgence - it was before I downsized my job :headbang: - I'm not a serious solar observer, but I have enjoyed using it. However it's occurred to me that now that I've got my dob, and am toying with the idea of higher-end eyepieces for it, I *could* look to sell the solarview to fund some pretty nice eyepieces.

Not sure - it's a "nice to have" and I'd be sorry to see it go, but on the other hand the eyepieces would probably get more use. Don't think I'm going to rush into a decision on this one, just wondered what people would do??

Personally, I'd keep the Solarview 50. It's a great piece of equipment and the solar cycle looks like it's changing - there will be more and more activity in the future. You'll kick yourself down the track if you sell it now.

My 2c

Depending on where you live, you'll most likely have a better chance of seeing the sun than the stars at the moment... :headbang:

I've been waiting for clear skies for weeks now in the south of England.

Probably depends on how much you'd get for the scope. If it's just a few tens of pounds, I'd probably keep it. If it's more and you don't use it, sell it.

Thanks for the replies, some good points made for me to think about. Must confess I hadn't looked at alternative solar scopes like the Coronado to switch to. I've not heard of the Lunt 60 though - just googled it, and not sure if it's available this side of the pond?

Do you mean a 2" low power Nagler? Must confess I'd never really come across these big 2" beasts before buying the dob and being on this forum; my initial thoughts were that you'd only use them for looking at wide star clusters, but from the way everyone raves about them, they're obviously rather more than that :icon_eek:

Archived