SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Balancing my Skywatcher Explorer 250PX

Hi

I had a go at balancing my Skywatcher Explorer 250PX OTA on the EQ6 Mount, I used both counterweights but the scope is still heavier than the counter weights, am I doing something obviously wrong or will I need to get another weight ?

Regards

John B

Hi John, same setup as me, you will need an extra weight, I suppliment the 2 that come with the mount with a cast dumbell weight from argos (supplied in boxes of 4). I put the dumbell weight on last so one of the supplied weights can clamp up against it and a washer I use with the end stop. The second weight I can then slide up and down to suit.

I also use some felt between the dumbell weight and the clamping weight and felt glued on the inner part of the hole through the dumbell weight.

Regards

Keithp

Temporarily I've done the same, 'cept I put the 2.5kg dumbell weight between the two skywatcher ones to hold it in place. Just don't do like I did and 'forget' then remove the lower sw weight, and let the other one fall off the shaft onto the wooden floor in the dining room, thankfully avoiding my toes!

I'd agree with that solution now John, as I've started autoguiding I find I need another weight with the current counter weight bar. Moving the weight further out on a longer bar means the overall weight on the mount stays the same or can be less than what I'm now using.

Guess that's next on the shopping list, better get it in quickly while it's still cloudy:D

Regards

Keithp

I'd agree with that solution now John, as I've started autoguiding I find I need another weight with the current counter weight bar. Moving the weight further out on a longer bar means the overall weight on the mount stays the same or can be less than what I'm now using.

Guess that's next on the shopping list, better get it in quickly while it's still cloudy:D

Regards

Keithp

Keith,

I just received the EQ6 extension bar from FLO and replaced the original one on my Atlas mount, it is very simple to do. I think I will be able to balance my 10" Skywather with 2 or 3 counterweights now, but I had no chance to try it so far ( raining since 4 days ).

cheers,

Janos

Archived