SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Andromeda : Still trying to get the processing right

Catanonia

About 7 hours worth, but I am going to start from scratch on this target as now I have learnt how I should be stacking and processing the exposures on these types of targets.

So here she is with what I got with the data as I might as well post it before confining it to the USB hardrive archive.

Hopefully my next attempt will be somewhat better with my new found knowlegde. Really disappointed in the image and that I didn't research properly before firing of 7 hours worth of data.

I tried to get the outer parts and keep the inner core visible and not blown out.

SkyWatcher ED80 and EOS 1000D. 7 hours with 5 and 8 min subs.

Definately trying to get this one again, it is my bugbear is M31

post-16631-133877411373_thumb.jpg

That's very soft Cat. If the focus was good to start with, then leave off the noise reduction :headbang:

Andromeda is one of the hardest DSO's to process imho. There is a huge difference between the core and the outer regions.

That's very soft Cat. If the focus was good to start with, then leave off the noise reduction :headbang:

Andromeda is one of the hardest DSO's to process imho. There is a huge difference between the core and the outer regions.

yeah you are right, massive learning for a newbie like me M31. But will crack it.

I have a plan, how does this sound.

All on ED80 with 1000D modded and take at ISO800

a. 1min subs

b. 5min subs

c. 15min subs

get loads of them and then stack / layer mask them ?

sound good ?

From experience, you'll gain very little in the 15 min subs over the 5 mins with andromeda, not sure why, its just like that. Given a choice, I'd go for more 5 min subs to get a smoother result. By "smoother" we mean less noisy, not softer.

If you get shorter subs for the core, it can be tricky blending it to look natural, but in fact, there is usually enough detail in the 5 min ones to be able to use as a seperate layer, and process differently at the same time as the main process, to keep the two looking nice together. Whichever way though take patience and hair tearing out :headbang:

One thing, if you get seperate sub lengths, dont stack them all together.

There is some fab detail there Cat. I have been playing with this one too and have found 3min subs (lots of them) to be quite promising I have about 8 hrs worth but feel I need more to bring out the subtle detail of this magnificent galaxy without blowing the core.

I believe its a test of patience and endurance.

Bryan.

Hello Cat, I echo what some of the others have said in that M31 is a tricky one to process. Im trying to work our from the image whether this is a composite? reason I ask is that I got similar efect on the core when I tried to bring 2 images together. Thinking however you should be able to campture the whole of M31 and companions with your setup?

Cat, you will be wasting your time with the 1 minute subs if the core isn't saturated in this time. It takes a long exposure to saturate the core so short exposures just aren't necessary. You do a light stretch for the core and then mix in with progressively larger stretches.

Here is one "I did earlier" along with some capture info. Kelling M31 2008

It too was taken with an ED80 but using a WO flattener

Martin,

With a bog standard F7.5 ED80, would you recommend just hammering M31 with 5 min subs till I have many hours worth ?

Would it be worth hitting a few 8min subs as well ?

BTW : Sweet image and was one I was looking at for examples to aim for.

Hello Cat, I echo what some of the others have said in that M31 is a tricky one to process. Im trying to work our from the image whether this is a composite? reason I ask is that I got similar efect on the core when I tried to bring 2 images together. Thinking however you should be able to campture the whole of M31 and companions with your setup?

it was a composite and even tried to use the layer mask approach. The problem i got was differing colours / levels on the core section and the outer section. So difficult.

Martin,

With a bog standard F7.5 ED80, would you recommend just hammering M31 with 5 min subs till I have many hours worth ?

Would it be worth hitting a few 8min subs as well ?

BTW : Sweet image and was one I was looking at for examples to aim for.

Calculating the ideal sub time is a moot point. For one it depends on the amount of light pollution you have. There is nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost once sky glow starts to dominate the background. 5 mins may be as far as you should bother going but you can always try longer just to see. My bet is lots of 5minute subs is likely to be your best bet

Calculating the ideal sub time is a moot point. For one it depends on the amount of light pollution you have. There is nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost once sky glow starts to dominate the background. 5 mins may be as far as you should bother going but you can always try longer just to see. My bet is lots of 5minute subs is likely to be your best bet

Cheers mate, you answered the question nicely. Will see what 5 and 8 min subs do and see how far i can go before blowing the core to much on a single image.

Well started again and managed to get tonight 4 hours worth of 5min ISO800 subs and started on the 8min ISO800 subs.

Lets see, practicing now with the stack on my processing skills... It is hard work not blowing out the core and not colour / shadow mismatching it as well.

Archived