1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Good Afternoon from Suffolk

JonnyGG

Hi all and everyone :headbang:, I registered here yesterday and with some advise from the friendly folk here purchased me and my girlfriend a nice shiny new Skywatcher Explorer 150p for Christmas our first telescope! Yay!

Christams just can't arrive soon enough for us! It'll be hard not to unpack it early I tell you.

I'm 28 and from Sunny Suffolk (he says whilst dripping wet after a short trip into town), must say this is a most friendly forum I feel at home already :D and a good read too especially loving the images here taken by people, breathtaking!!

See you all around I hope!

Hey Jonny! I'm in Suffolk too, though have yet to splash out on a scope. I guess you're near a town? How's the light pollution? Have you been to any of the local astro societies? My nearest one is OASI OASI - Introduction but I've yet to pluck up the courage to join! Perhaps at their next open evening.

Hey Jonny! I'm in Suffolk too, though have yet to splash out on a scope. I guess you're near a town? How's the light pollution? Have you been to any of the local astro societies? My nearest one is OASI OASI - Introduction but I've yet to pluck up the courage to join! Perhaps at their next open evening.

Hi, I'm in a town actually :-( a bit further west than you I'd guess, 15 miles outside Cambridge (Newmarket), but the light pollution isnt that bad, but we'd probably camp out in the country when we want to make a proper night of it!

I've not visited any astro societies I will probably start self teaching with a good book at my side, it''s always interested me as my grandad used to have a home made mammoth sized contraption in a converted shed, most i've done is the constellations with my naked eye though, so I really really can't wait to get started.

The Girlfriend on the other hand knows much more but has never had her own telescope we are both like little kids again getting all excited at the prospect of it you could say. :headbang:

Edited by JonnyGG

It's on it's way to me as we speak so that isn't yet possible plus I'm sat in the office at work which doesn't help..........on the graveyard shift, just been busy scaring myself reading up on polar alignment and collimation. My head hurts :headbang:

We used it last night to give it a test run on the moon, LOL. I don't think we are going to wrapped it up for Christmas we spent a good while out last night till gone midnight mainly just being wowed by the detail we could make out on the moon and that was before we used the 2xbarlow.

The Polar Alighment was easy, set up didn't take too long at all, next time we'll set up with a little daylight as setting up the spotter was a bit tricky to get bang on target.

I've not got a free night til next week now tho. :-(