Step down ring

gataki

:headbang:

I have been balancing my Skywatcher LP filter on top of my 1000d but am getting worried that one day I'm going to forget it's there, so after a bit of browsing on here I discovered the advice to others to get a step down ring.

So far, so good. I think I need a 58mm > 48mm because I am wanting to use a 2" filter with a 'nifty fifty'. And then I found something saying I needed a 52mm > 48mm.

Please could someone confirm which it is ~ or indeed if I am completely wrong!!

Thanks very much,

Liz :D

:headbang:

I have been balancing my Skywatcher LP filter on top of my 1000d but am getting worried that one day I'm going to forget it's there, so after a bit of browsing on here I discovered the advice to others to get a step down ring.

So far, so good. I think I need a 58mm > 48mm because I am wanting to use a 2" filter with a 'nifty fifty'. And then I found something saying I needed a 52mm > 48mm.

Please could someone confirm which it is ~ or indeed if I am completely wrong!!

Thanks very much,

Liz :D

Your lens if we are talking about the Canon 50mm f1.8 takes 52mm filters.. The underside of the lens cap usually has the size stamped on/moulded... So you need a 52-48mm step down ring assuming your filter is a 48mm screw in..

BTW... I much prefer the 'Plastic Fantastic' pet name for the lens as used by most Canon Pro's rather than 'nifty-fifty' which seems to (I suppose being British) be used in UK more..

Either way it is an excellent lens despite the low end build quality and probably the best vaue there is..:D

Your step ring should be only a few pounds and will be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks very much Steve,

That's the lens ~ and I have just had a look ~ why didn't I think of that, sure enough it says 52mm on the cap. I'm fairly certain the 48mm bit is correct as I read some posts by John (jgs... I think) talking about the Skywatcher filter.

Excellent, no more worries about crushing a forgotten filter underfoot!!

(I agree ~ it's a brilliant value lens!)

Liz :headbang:

Archived