SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

QHY5v First Light

jgs001

Finally I managed to first light my QHY5v last night. I only got 40 minutes in total, but it's good to know it's working :headbang:...

Anyway... I installed all the drivers and software during the day, and it was worth it, it was a bit of a faff getting the correct software installed to get the camera working as both a planetary/lunar camera and a guide camera...

Anyway... First impressions...

1) It's a lot lighter than a DSI, when I was balancing, I was able to balance the kit out with only a 5Kg counter weight, instead of the 10Kg I had been using... Phew... that feels so much better carting it all in and out now...

2) I tested out on M45, a good bright target to make focussing etc easier. I have to say, that I was getting stars showing on PHD with only a 0.2 second loop, so it certainly seems to be a sensitive little beastie for a CMOS chip... Oh, I don't mean the bright sisters.. one or two of the fainter ones were in view also.

I had no problems with the guiding, all worked well. Just a shame that only 20 minutes after guiding locked on, the clouds had moved in and spoilt the night.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between the QHY5 and the QHY5V? I see on the Modern Astronomy website that there is a £10 difference between the two. I'm looking to purchase one in the near future as a guider/ lunar & planetary camera- just a little confused as to which to get!

A couple of things. the 5v has a smaller sensor. The 5v has a global shutter, rather than a rolling shutter, which is better for imaging. I called Bern and discussed with him, and as soon as I said Lunar/Planetary he told me to get the 5v.

Thanks John

So am i right in saying that the larger sensor in the 5 is better for guiding as its easier to get a guidestar on the chip? I want to use it for guiding mainly and occasional imaging, so i guess the 5 is the one to go for.

Cheers

• 7 months later...

Not sure I can really answer that.

As I understand it, the bayer matrix of the colour camera reduces the overall sensitivity a bit...

but the key question is, does the colour one work for you, if so, then I don't see that it was a mistake. But you're the one who really needs to decide that.

i went for the colour just for mainly guiding but i did want to dabble in lunar and plantary imaging, it's good for guiding but i struggle to find a guide star so i have to use the finder on the st80 to locate one is this normal ?

I've not had too many problems. Make sure the focus is as good as can be. Take darks in the guiding software, that makes a big difference. There's a darks button in PHD for that purpose.

• 1 year later...

Archived