Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where are all the Somerset enthusiasts?

Dr Nurburg

Hi,

I spoke to someone from Somerset on the phone today, who's number I got off the web, and I asked him about Star parties in Somerset.

He said there aren't any and that no one in Somerset is interested. He said the last party he went to was in Torquay a few years ago.

???

This I find hard to believe and so am starting this thread to find out who's in Somerset and who would be interested in meeting up next year when the weather gets warmer.

Now, I'm new to astronomy, I only have some 15 x 70 binos until probably May next year when I get my telescope. However I would be keen to meet someone in my area to chat with and help me get to know the subject better.

So I'm interested in meeting some guys locally for a drink or whatever over the next few months and for getting some Somerset star parties together/going.

I don't have a car unfortunately and so I am hoping that there might be some cool guys near Wells who would be able to help me out with a lift when the time comes to actually taking our scopes out in the fields.

But meanwhile just a drink will be cool.

Please respond if you are interested.

Cheers,

Simon

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not in Somerset but I believe SCS Astro arrange such things and I think there is a Astro society in Taunton.

RonJ

There's no point contacting him because that's who told me there aren't any star parties in Somerset or anyone interested in going to one.

I dont live in Somerset but we have a van down there which we use every week end. However, I am due to retire next year so if the time was right I would welcome something of this nature. The guy from SCSastro was at kelling this year and runs a shop in Wellington. Check out his web site.

Keith.

I dont live in Somerset but we have a van down there which we use every week end. However, I am due to retire next year so if the time was right I would welcome something of this nature.

Cool.

The guy from SCSastro was at kelling this year and runs a shop in Wellington. Check out his web site.

Keith.

I have, that's where I got his number from....maybe you misread my previous posts... he was a very rude and unenthusiastic man who told me there are no star parties in somerset or any people interested in going to one. He said he hasn't been to a star party in years and the last one he went to was in Torquay. A bit weird then and so he doesn't sound like someone I want to know.

There's quite a few of us on here from Somerset and I'm willing to travel to meet up with others but at this time of year will find it hard to get the time. I'm in Taunton which is a fair way from Wells unfortunately...

James

Do we qualify? A family of 3 budding astronomers. We're not actually in Somerset, but 2 miles over the border in Wiltshire, just near Frome, not too far from Wells. I am contracted to work every weekend though, so I can't do things at the drop of a hat *sigh*

But we do like to get out there to a dark site - and we love meeting people, so let us know if/when you get something sorted.

Spanner in the works...so to speak.. I live in south Somerset, near Crewkerne, we got loads of small hills, vales etc. Not spoken to any of the farmers that own them though, they might be accomodating...maybe even the local apple orchard people...hic..hic

Though they do have some tall trees around the orchards. Don't mind asking if there's interest.. Never been to a star party myself. Suppose I would need to invest in camping gear etc. Got a nice

4 X 4 toyota surf, so I suppose I could 'camp' out in that :D

just realised my 'camp' out in that could be miss-interpreted.:D..hmmm

married, wifey and two dogs :headbang:

who would be interested in meeting up next year when the weather gets warmer.

Now, I've never been to a meet-up, though I've tentatively put my name down for SGL5, hoping that people will talk to a lone newbie :headbang: but from what I've gathered, you're supposed to meet up in the freezing cold to give you an excuse to warm up with scotch and red wine?

Now, I've never been to a meet-up, though I've tentatively put my name down for SGL5, hoping that people will talk to a lone newbie :headbang: but from what I've gathered, you're supposed to meet up in the freezing cold to give you an excuse to warm up with scotch and red wine?

Ahhhhh. Lol!

Michael you will find SGL star parties dangerous for a newbie - they usually impale newbies on a stake and toast you you as a snack :headbang:

Seriously - you will find Star Parties a great way to learn, meet people etc. I havent done the SGL one but I do go to the unoffical one at Salibury for the last two years.

People are generous and will help out if your lost, give you advice and let you look through their scopes and equipment.

Some people obviously will have projects going for imaging and will be tied up after dark but will share their knowledge in the day. Others (like me) run a kind of open house where anyone can drop by, have some coffee, take a look through the scope and just gab.

The only proviso I make is dont even try to talk to me before I have had a cup of tea and got my face on cos you are attempting to talk to the undead :D

Serioulsy you will find it fun and you'll learn tons of stuff plus get to look at kit in real conditions which mat help shape your future buying choices.

I went to the SGL Starparty in April this year at Herefordshire. It was my 1st starparty despite over 30 years in the hobby !. Great fun, people were very friendly and I happened to be there on the only really clear night of the event - saw some fantastic sights including my 1st supernova and the spiral arms of Messier 51.

Only downside was a chilly few hours in a tent - must take more layers (or our Caravan !) next year !.

Highly recommended whether you are experienced or just starting out.

John

Michael you will find SGL star parties dangerous for a newbie - they usually impale newbies on a stake and toast you you as a snack :headbang:

I will make sure I find someone newer than me then :D

The only proviso I make is dont even try to talk to me before I have had a cup of tea and got my face on cos you are attempting to talk to the undead :D

Serioulsy you will find it fun and you'll learn tons of stuff plus get to look at kit in real conditions which mat help shape your future buying choices.

Sorry but I have to try this now if I see you before your cuppa.

Thanks - you're selling the idea to me :)

I went to the SGL Starparty in April this year at Herefordshire. It was my 1st starparty despite over 30 years in the hobby !. Great fun, people were very friendly and I happened to be there on the only really clear night of the event - saw some fantastic sights including my 1st supernova and the spiral arms of Messier 51.

Only downside was a chilly few hours in a tent - must take more layers (or our Caravan !) next year !.

Highly recommended whether you are experienced or just starting out.

John

Does sound good. I'll have to see how many layers I can fit in a Fiesta along with a dob!

Anyway sorry I seem to have hijacked the thread.... back over to the Somersetians....

Hi Mr Jepps!

SWMBO and I went to both the SGL4 Star Party in Lucksall, Hereford this year, and the less offiicial (but becoming an annual) fixture in Sixpenny Handley, near Salisbury.

They were both great. 4 or 5 days camping in the darkest campsites sites the organisers can find, and everyone is totally open and friendly. Lucksall was our first star party, and I'd only just joined SGL. Nevertheless the very first person I spoke to immediately offered to help me unload my kit.

There's usually a program of talks and workshops etc. during the day and lots of liquid refereshment on cloudy nights. The clear nights take care of themselves.

There's a link to sign up here for SGL5 next April http://stargazerslounge.com/sgl-announcements-events/89761-sgl5.html

Dana

Bit far for me to travel, Dana, but thanks for the link.

If there isn't already a site in Somerset that's been used before I will have to have a look and see what I can find.

Let me know of a site if you know of one, otherwise any suggestions for a Somerset site please post them here. Try and aim for fairly central Somerset so it is an equal distance from everyone.

Cheers,

Simon

YARP! I'm in Brizzle, but given that I was a Kielder this Autumn and visit the Hebrides at least once a year I'm sure I could make it to Somerzet.

Oh and Michael, it's amazing what you can get in a small car once you take the rear seats out (completely) Just ask anyone who saw our Corsa at Kielder!

Cool thanks for all responses so far... we're getting a good list together.

So what type of site is usually used for one of these things..? as I've said I've never been. From what I've read an official campsite/caravan type place is sometimes ideal... but what should I be looking for?

Again, if you think you know somewhere in Somerset that would be ideal post it here.

Cheers.

I've never been to a star party neither so Im looking forward to Lucksall to meet everyone and to view.

I think also that we can get a star party going in Somerset, its just finding a site that will take us. Many campsites have spare fields for rallies etc so there must be something there.

Keith.

Archived