SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASIGN Observatory's "How to do timelapses of the Milky Way."

ASIGN_Baz

Hi everyone,

I did a bit of an update and proof read to tidy up my instructions on a simple time lapse procedure.

Given, it is written for a Canon, but the techniques and methods can be applied to just about any camera.

Time-lapse

I am happy to answer questions through my contact page. Let's see your stuff!

Blessings,

Baz.

• 2 months later...

Great stuff Baz. :)I went to a facinating lecture about this subject at LDAS a couple of years ago. One of the things I'd like to try at some stage would be to do a time lapse of the shadow moving across the surface of the moon at high mag - now that would be cool!:)

Stef

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks very much for the info. I've been experimenting with time lapse for a few months on and off, but so far, only from an open window or the garden. The one time I got out to a dark site with my kit, I was rapidly beaten by dew. Do you fancy sharing your batch processing tips when you have the time!

Excellent tutorial/info. Makes you want to run out and give it a go. The essential piece of gear is the proper release cable. I have one of those that i would need to watch the clock every second.

Haha i was wondering why Orion was upside down in the 1st video......then i saw your Australia Day video and that explained it.

Thanks very much for the info. I've been experimenting with time lapse for a few months on and off, but so far, only from an open window or the garden. The one time I got out to a dark site with my kit, I was rapidly beaten by dew. Do you fancy sharing your batch processing tips when you have the time!
I'm afraid my batch processing is very bad and at the moment I am only using three or four default checkboxes that can be checked or not. My version of Photoshop elements doesn't have many options I'm afraid.
Excellent tutorial/info. Makes you want to run out and give it a go. The essential piece of gear is the proper release cable. I have one of those that i would need to watch the clock every second.

Haha i was wondering why Orion was upside down in the 1st video......then i saw your Australia Day video and that explained it.

Hey thanks heaps Paul, you can also control the exposures and intervals from your laptop via the utilities tools menu and USB cable.

P.S. Did you learn that northern hemisphere trick of standing on your feet instead of your head for a change? Everything looks right way up there when you do that.. ;)

Baz.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Baz, really interesting - tried out a 'cut-down' version last night with my little digial - it has a 'starrry night' setting it has a self timer as well only problem is the self-timer time equals the exposure time (30's) on this setting - still managed to grab four images of Jupiter before the cloud came over in a very LP area (two Sodium street lights within 20 yards) or one Sodium street light within 10 yards). Animating them was instructive - given me the bug to try again - usually I tend to look at the Moon due to the LP. Thanks for this

Rob

• 1 year later...

Hi Baz, just tried to look at this tutorial, unfortunately its unavailable now. Any chance of putting it up again or a link to it ???

Cheers Ady

• 2 months later...

Hi Baz, just tried to look at this tutorial, unfortunately its unavailable now. Any chance of putting it up again or a link to it ???

Cheers Ady

Baz, that link will not work for me either, could you please repost it.

Tim

Archived