Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie with jupiter pics....

supameanie

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is plenty of good advice to be obtained from members of SGL - on telescope selection and any other astronomical query.

For what it is worth, my advice would be to take your time and consider all your options and what you want to achieve with it. I rushed into the purchase of my first TWO telescopes and got very little use of either [long story]. Finally got one that I don't think many on SGL would recommend and found I was actually using it and therefore seeing things ... GREAT!

Recently upgraded, but still have the smaller one and have no intention of parting with it.

Hi Supameanie,

I find very strange your image and I'm sorry but I can't believe you only did it with your Canon 100/400 lens !!! :icon_scratch:For me, it is very good drawing in black & white ! :headbang:

I show you what I got with my refractor TAKAHASHI 102mm fd/8 so 816mm and my Canon 40D with out any Powermate or Barlow:

img0111qc.jpg

By FranckiM06

The Full size:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4241/img0111a.jpg

Crop on Jupiter:

cropsurjupi.jpg

By FranckiM06

So after these images that I done in 2008 with my TSA 102 fd/8, you could understand that I think strange your image (that you said) with some lens 100/400 & your 450D !!!

Franck

Hi Supameanie, I agree with Franck. Not wishing to discourage you at all, but I think it is an out of focus image. To record a disc of that size would require much greater than 400mm of focal length. Did you focus manually or automatically??

ok...so some of u think its a drawing...but with my drawing talent i can assure u it would be a whole lot better than that....but anyway...

here is one of the images with the exif data.........hope that helps....it probably is out of focus......and it was on a long exposure......

exifimage600x375.jpg

Clayton is right, No lens only imaging, could show detail on jupiter i dont think, even if it was one of those huge telephoto types, the focal length probably wouldnt be enough. Regardless, welcome to the forum, you will learn a lot here, and get great advice should you choose to go further.

I dont think its a drawing lol. though it does look a little that way. its overexposed and out of focus probably. the detail is a illussion its not real. but it matters not, its jupiter and your learning, thats all thats importantant.

the detail is a illussion its not real. but it matters not, its jupiter and your learning, thats all thats importantant.

Agreed. Not sure what has caused the banding. I'll have a go with my 100-400mm and see what I get. You should also try the Moon, you'll get some nice pics with that lens

Doesn't the Canon 100-400 L lens have a 77mm filter thread, and approx 65mm clear apperture making it equiv to around an F6 scope, albeit with significantly more glass to soak up those photons?

[edit] oops, forgot to say hello and welcome, nice pic etc...

Agreed. Not sure what has caused the banding. I'll have a go with my 100-400mm and see what I get. You should also try the Moon, you'll get some nice pics with that lens

I have some moon pics......will post them later........i started taking photos of the moon at the begining of this year......and with that lense it looks superb....

So what do they sell there???:D

Steve

Seems obvious to me that they sell Honey :headbang:

But back on topic :D

I would genuinely like to see some of your Moon pics. The oufit you are using would be capable of producing some nice "whole of Moon" shots.

BTW Janine, I hope you haven't found our comment's too discouraging :) We all started at the beginning, and have all made many mistakes to get to where we are now. ;)

Archived