JMI Focuser -remove focus wheel - by force??

Telescope40

Hi. Anyone actually done this to their JMI focuser. I cant seem to see a screw to loosen the knob. Is it just a case of a little force and ignorance plus closing your eyes till it comes loose.

The plan is, after purchasing a Orion Accufocusser for my ED80, ( excellent result ) I would like to add one to my JMI. I know there is a dedicated electric focusser for sale but a DIY mod is always something to plan and fit and finnally see completed by my own pair of hands.

If anyone has done this, any tips or hints appreciated.

Thx John :rolleyes:

I don't know this equipment BUT if you can't see a locking screw --- BEWARE of ("loctite" ie engineers metal "glue") that could be holding the parts together. If it is then no amount of pulling (within reason!) will seperate the bits. How do you know if its there? You don't except that it wont come apart!!

Heat WILL break a loctite bond (put it in a hot domestic oven - when SWMBO is not looking!) Unless, of course, the knob is plastic!!!!!

The knobs may well be screwed up against a taper on the shaft, IIRC my Celestron was like that. You will have to hold the shaft with something, a vice maybe and unscrew the knob from the shaft. It will be held with loctite but with a LITTLE effort it should break loose.

Gary

Archived