SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Harrison Telescopes

Euan

The 200 is a nice size, enough aperture to give great views, but still "small" enough to manage easily. :)

I've always found Harrisons easy to deal with and very helpful. The man on the phone is indeed very knowledgeable. He was with Telescope House for many years, their loss and Harrisons gain.

John

Its great to hear that you all had a good experience with Harrisons. Im just about to take advantage of the Skywatcher accessory set for £79.00 includes 2mm, 5mm, 15mm & 20mm Long Eye Relief Eyepieces, Four Threaded Light Filters (Amber, Blue, Neutral Grey & Moon Filter) Dual - Beam LED Night Vision Torch, Astronomical Telescope User Guide, in lockable, foam-padded Aluminium Case -apparently i have to send off to OPTICAL VISION LTD.

With a focal length of 1000mm the 2mm eyepiece would yield 500x magnification. It's unlikely the "seeing" in the UK would ever be good enough to use this. Most of the time 200x to 300x is about the best you can expect - and then only on rare occasions. So that would give the 5mm little use too most of the time.

One other thing - if you take out the cost of the case, user guide, filters, and night vision torch I doubt you'll be averaging more than a cost of £10 per eyepiece. I have serious doubts about how good these will be - probably similar quality to supplied eyepieces.

I'd reconsider if I were you :)

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to buy the Revelation 2.5x barlow - Harrison Telescopes had it at £31 delivered.

Ordered, paid by PayPal (always a nice option) and received order acknowledgement email at 14:09 yesterday.

Email notifying despatch at 14:22.

It was on my doorstep when I got back from walking the dog this morning.

Excellent service :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After much deliberating about getting a spotting scope, I finally went for one from Harrison Telescopes. A quick call confirmed what I wanted. It wasn't in stock with them but the gentleman on the phone said the supplier was very good at getting stock out to him and he would in turn send it out the same day on a 24 hour courier.

An order was placed at 10am on Wednesday 21st Dec which was delivered at lunchtime today.

Excellent service by all parties involved at this busy time of year.

• 1 month later...

Ordered myself online from Harrisons Telescopes a Celestron spotting scope Monday 20/2/12 @ 10:48am then @ 10:56am i recieved an email stating my order had been shipped :p there were no tracking details or anything given but @ 9:30am the next day Tuesday 21/2/12 the Fed Ex driver knocked on my door with my parcel. less than 24 hours from ordering to delivery that's what i call excellent service i reckon and hard to beat can't praise Harrisons highly enough for their superb service.:):D

• 4 months later...

After several conversations with Ed, who I must have driven mad, I finally ordered my new SkyTee 2 mount on Wednesday evening. I received an email confirming it had been shipped on Thursday, and on Friday lunchtime Fedex delivered it. Excellent service, and great to find a retailer who will spend time talking to his customers.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Disappointing service from Harrison Telescopes.

Due to a wrongly packed focuser from the Widescreen Centre, I recently found myself in urgent need of a focuser to enable the refit of my observatory to go ahead on the scheduled day. Searching online, the only supplier who had the right model in stock, allegedly, was Harrison Telescopes. I phoned to enquire about personal collection of the item ( it was a 200 mile round trip, but I would have gladly made it to enable the refit to go ahead) but was given a flat "No, that isn't possible". Thinking that it was hard to explain the circumstances on the phone, I wrote a detailed email describing the circumstances, and requesting a little extra effort to help me out. After a short while a reply came back explaining that it would be against the terms of the Credit Card company to take payment online and then supply in person. (This is true.) I explained that I would happily pay cash or instant bank transfer, but still the same indifference and unwillingness to go the extra mile.

Sensing that the obsy refit was now doomed to be postponed, I asked if I ordered the item through the website as normal, and waited for delivery, could they at least match the price of the Widescreen Centre (£10 less), but this was greeted with a flat refusal too.

I hadn't used or approached Harrison Telescopes before this, and I won't be contacting them again, their indifference and unwillingness to provide a little extraordinary service to a potential new customer leaves me very disappointed with them.

• 1 month later...

just had a lovely conversation with a gent called edd from harrison telescopes. phoned the shop to ask if they had a baader 2" clicklock diagonal in stock, then told him what i had a revalations 2" he asked why i was changing it told him it doesnt holld my meade telextender properly due to the machined section in the clamp tube, he thought of a very quick easy solution, which just saved me £200 he could quite easily of sold me the new diagonal which others would of. why cant all astro shops be like this. thank you very much edd, i will be coming back to you. regards mike

• 2 years later...

Just ordered an adapter from here, thanks to a recommendation from FLO (great service to recommend a competitor).

I received an email to confirm order immediately and 8 minutes later another to say item dispatched.

That's good.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'd just like to post a very big "Thumbs up" for Harrison Telescopes. After my smashing time with the wind and my AVX mount deciding that it needed to "positively uncouple" i.e. break in two, I rang round looking for parts or a scrap AVX. No luck with parts but when I rang Harrison Telescopes, Ed said that he'd got a complete mount except for handset which he'd let me have for a very, very good price.

It arrived today and is exactly as he said, basically nearly new! Brilliant service and communication.

Harrison 'scopes have a new and loyal customer.

Highly recommended.

• 6 months later...

I made an order from Harrison Telescopes. Some time after submitting it, I realised that there was a small item that I had forgotten. It wouldn't have been worth paying postage for the small item by itself, so I sent a message asking if it was possible to add it to the order I'd already made. Ed replied immediately (on a Sunday!), inviting me to submit a new order, and telling me that he'd arrange for the two orders to be merged, and with only a single postage charge.

Delivery was quick, and everything was handled as I was told. Top marks!

• Like 4

I wanted to praise both Ed & Ian.  We chatted on the phone a number of times, and they are both patient and helpful and offer excellent advice and enthusiasm for the hobby and what they sell.  

On placing orders with both, the packages were dispatched promptly and both arrived the next day (on a Saturday too). 

Cheers ! :)

• Like 1

Recently ordered a Bahtinov mask a size too small. I called Harrison Telescope and they said send it back and they will get back in touch as there was a slightly price difference.

it was literally two days later a new mask came in the post and I guess they waived the extra cost.  I sent them an email with thanks and they replied politely saying happy to have helpes

from order to delivery they have been superb

so lucky we have great telescope retailers in the uk

Edited by lnlarxg
  • Like 1

I was looking for a 32mm eyepiece, just to see if I liked the size or not. I thought a fairly cheap, but decent one was a good idea, ( at first, ) so wanted a Celestron Omni 32mm. I went to FLO first of course, but their price was going haywire, to almost twice normal! So I looked elsewhere and saw that Harrison Telescopes had it in stock at the old price. I ordered one.

It came fast, their response to my question was fast, however their packaging was woeful! Is it just me or is it in no way adequate to send an eyepiece, even a cheap one in a Jiffy Bag, ordinary post, by Royal Mail? Well to me it was/is. I raised the issue with them, to be told they had been using such packaging for cheaper stuff for ten years, without negative feedback. Maybe not, but to me it has now put them off my list of potential suppliers of anything. This even if the eyepiece arived in one piece.

Perhaps I am over reacting, but expect better really. I would suggest careful thought before buying from Harrisons. :undecided: