Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Loads of solar activity

Helen

We're having lots of weather here today - much of it concurrently. The sun is currently shining, but its raining and really windy :rolleyes:

But earlier on, when the sun was shining with no rain I got what must be the best views of the sun all year. There's loads going on! Three sets of spectacular proms and two active areas :)

I'm desperate to try to image them, but the weather isn't cooperating (my skill level is so low on this that it'll take me ages of faffing around to get anything and the rain gaps are really short :eek:).

Helen

Hi Helen

Great to hear about the activity. heres some imaging tips for the Sun....

Use something like a webcam or DMK camera to capture a video (AVI) with hundreds of frames.

Use Registax to stack and sharpen the images.

when focusing use either the edge of the disc or a halpha feature (prom, AR, filament etc)

Feel free to post or PM me with any Qs you have.

David Gradwell

Many thanks for the advice David! I've got a webcam. The only time I tried to image with it was on an undriven mount and I had so many problems focusing, recentre-ing, trying to see the laptop screen in the glare that I gave up!

I've now got a driven EQ mount though in my obs and so today I thought I'd give it another go. It should be much easier now that the PC will be out of the sun. But by the time I'd set it up the clouds had come over and it lashed down with rain (had me trapped in the Obs for a while!).

So next time I was thinking of using a 2.5 powermate - would that work focus-wise? And what sort of settings would you recommend for shutter speed, gamma etc? I've found the controls for the Phillips webcam a little hit or miss as their done with sliders rather than values. Is there a better software alternative?

Many thanks

Helen

I had so many problems focusing, recentre-ing, trying to see the laptop screen in the glare that I gave up!

Hmmm ... get a black plastic storage box or similar, stand it on its side on a stool with its bottom facing in the direction the Sun's coming from, place laptop in the open side of the box ... instant micro observatory. I use a Sainsbury's "blue box" which is just the right size for my Asus eeePC notebook computer. A cardboard box will probably do except that it will tend to blow away ....

Hi Helen,

If your obs doesnt give you enough shade do as Brian says or I have a piece of black cloth i bought from a local dressmakers and use that as a shroud (during the summer it sure does get hot under there!!)

When I used a webcam I would brighten the image (incr gain) till it started to bleach out (saturate) then came back a bit.

Your much better off, especially with H-Alpha, to use a dedicated camera like a DMK21 because -

The CCD chip being mono is much more sensitive to H_Alpha

They take a lot of frames very quickly (called frame rate or frames per second fps) which means you can catch moments of good "seeing".

The control software gives you more control over the image.

As regards the 2.5x - this time of year the Sun is very low so focusing is going to be difficult anyway. Increasing the mag MAY make this worse.

One thing about images and especially solar images - ALWAYS post your image on SGL no matter what you think of them. The Sun can change in a matter of minutes and in the little clear spots of weather, you have may have captured something no one else has.

David

Hope this helps & keep us up to date with your progress

DG

Opps that reminds me to post yesterdays effort...

Kev

PS IR Block filter when using a webcam may help, as although the Ha may be ok, there may be other very thin lines in the IR that dont get blocked that the camera can see but the eye cant (that have also been attenuated to a safe level).

post-17703-133877410543_thumb.jpg

post-17703-133877410549_thumb.jpg

post-17703-133877410556_thumb.jpg

Great shots Kev! Looks like theres quite a bit of activity on the disc now. (Havent seen the Sun in over week!) How are these orientated - just that Id like to have a go a that Prom at the bottom right (is that SW of disc)

Thanx

David

They are imaged afocally with the Solarview 50, with an everbrite diagonal and DCL28, so.... North at top and east (the new object arriving) limb at the right.

BTW I use an everbrite purely because i find it has the least scatter of any diagonal / prism that I have ever used - and as a solar astronomer you will appreciate just how important that is.

Kev

Just returned from sunny Tenerife where I have a 70mm Coronado Helios 1. Despite the "wall to wall" sunshine not much was going on until the end of the visit when several proms and a couple of active areas appeared. Whilst packing for the airport , out of curiosity I had a quick look with a 4" binscope fitted with white light filters and was surprised to see three groups of small sunspots, the first for some time. Not seen the Sun since then!

I managed a quick look between the clouds and rain on Friday and there was loads of activity again. A couple of sets of proms and an active area that I could see a big flare coming from - that's the first time I've seen that from the disk :D well chuffed :headbang:

Its just a shame there was no chance to get the camera going :D

Helen

Folk, heads up there's a nice prominence on the southern limb of the sun, so if you have Ha capability have a look.

I will try to image it, but this is going to be "a challange" with the wind blowing a gale and gusting to boot.

Kev

Ok, this isnt up to the normal standard - due to the rather excessive wind... so bear with me.

What your looking for is the protrusio at the bottom (about half past 5 on the image). Also on the disk Ha theres a couple of areas.

kev

post-17703-133877411445_thumb.jpg

post-17703-133877411452_thumb.jpg

Archived