Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Veil

pvaz

After my initial desappointment on my OIII filter I read a lot and found out M42/43 aren't the best targets for it. So I made the plan with a few recommended ones, the veil being the 1st on the list.

I found the area easily having print a telrad map in advance. Unfiltered I could just spot a lot of stars and faint nebulosity traces with a some what curved shape, as a lighter area in the sky.

Then I put the OIII in and WOW! Most of the faint stars disappeared and there it was, popping out. Not exactly "photographic" experience but much closer then my expectations. I could actually see the shape and a lots of detail, witch I didn't expect. I looked at it for 30 min with the 32mm and 15mm EPs. The 32mm allowed me to keep it all in the FOV and see the best views since it showed more black background and allowed for a better contrast on the edges.

Then clouds came, the night was bad and windy so I finished my observation.

Later I found out, in google earth, that what I sow was only half of it! (The west side I think.) Seams the other half is over 2 full degrees away!

Can't wait to give it another go.

Clear Skies,

Paulo

EDIT: I meant Veil not Viel on the thread title. :rolleyes:

It's one of my favourite objects.

16" and a Baader O111 filter is a match made in heaven. The O111 really makes this object come to life. I can see tendrails that look made up of cotton wool strands. Looks a bit like a cobweb.

Sounds like you saw the witches broom the western veil Ngc 6960 as you say 2° to the East is the Eastern Veil Ngc 6992

It's one of my favourite objects.

16" and a Baader O111 filter is a match made in heaven. The O111 really makes this object come to life. I can see tendrails that look made up of cotton wool strands. Looks a bit like a cobweb.

Sounds like you saw the witches broom the western veil Ngc 6960 as you say 2° to the East is the Eastern Veil Ngc 6992

Yeah what I sow was ngc6960, it really poped out and lots of detail was seen. It was the closest thing to "photographic experience" so far. Great object. I hope it stops raining and I get an opening to see the eastern section tonight.

It's one of my favourite objects too. I'd seen it from a dark site with 10" dob and OIII filter and it looked just amazing. Even with my 6" scope and an LPR filter (it was only just visible without) from a dark site I found it mesmerising

Good spot !.

I've seen the Veil in scopes from 80mm to 300mm and love it each time I view it. Believe it or not one of the main drivers that led me to get a Nagler 31mm eyepiece was to be able to view both the east and west portions in the same field of view with my 4" F/6.5 refractor - on a good night, with my OIII filter, the view is stunning.

On a really dark night there is another portion called Pickerings Triangular Wisp that is worth looking out for - I've seen it with my 12" dob and "suspected" it on a really good night with my 4" refractor.

It's really one of my favourite DSO's.

John

Archived