SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42 and M43 Drawing

DarkerSky

Took my time to observe and sketch M42 / M43 over two nights (a week apart owing to cloud !!) to create a drawing. Total observation and sketch time came in at 2.5 hours with intermittent cloud at times during both sessions. This is certainly the most detailed drawing I have made of M42.

Scope: 8.5" Newtonian - no tracking

Magnification: x86

Filters: OIII

Observation dates: 8-11-09 and 15-11-09

IMG_3399a.jpg

IMG_3399b.jpg

I admire all those with the patience to do this. Much more satisfying than with a camera. I think that's why you may do it.

Whatever the motivation, it is a splendid result, and no mistaking what it is. You're a member of a very fine group on SGL who do this work.

Ron.:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the kind comments. There is certainly something special about translating what you see at the eyepiece to paper. I find it quite therapeutic when I immerse myself in observing / sketching. The thing is I am no artist. At the risk of sounding like that guy of Catchphrase, I just draw what I see :)

It's what keeps bringing me back to the eyepiece :rolleyes:

"The thing is I am no artist."

You don't have to be. :) Eyepiece sketching isn't about trying to create a pretty picture. It's about recording an observation as accurately as possible, and becoming a better observer because of it. Yes, eventually the sketching talent will improve with repetition, but those who do it for the sake of creating a pretty picture are totally missing the point.

And i know what you mean about sketching being theraputic. I fall into the eyepiece and totally lose myself. Then about an hour later i crawl out again, sketch in hand, feeling like i've had a soul-massage. :rolleyes:

Excellent. Not an easy thing to do, well done

"The thing is I am no artist."

You don't have to be. :) Eyepiece sketching isn't about trying to create a pretty picture. It's about recording an observation as accurately as possible, and becoming a better observer because of it. :rolleyes:

I've found this to be very true. It was only when I started trying to draw what I saw that I began to spend time really eeking out all the little details visible in the eyepiece. I can't compare to the fantastic sketches on this forum but get a great deal out of it none the less. I'm going to try astrophotography, but wont give up the sketching.

Agree its about recording as accurately as possible a visual observation and improving observational skills. If the result ends up as a beautiful rendition by virtue of the techniques used then that is bonus. When this inclement weather decides to go away I'll be sketching and hopefully applying artistic techniques to bring out the details whether or not it results in a 'pretty picture'. My view is you can combine the recording and artistic side.

Great sketch!.....Does make me miss it. I haven't had the time to do any sketching for several months.....Can't wait to just sit down and, as Carol says, lose myself in the eyepiece.:D

.......Ahhhh, I digress. Well done once again.:headbang: This is a difficult object to sketch because of all the minute detail. Nice to see a good deal of M43 there as well - not always easy if there's lots of light polution around. Here's my effort from a while back: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-sketches-unconventional/74478-m42-m43-sketch.html

Keep 'm coming:)

Stef

Archived