Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dare I say it...... Nikon D50

I've a Nikon D50 and wouldlove to have a try at taking pictures of whatever is up there,,,

Everyone seems to be using Canon stuff but surely someone here must have a Nikon as well as me....

Firstly.... what it needed to conect to the scope.... Mines a Skywatcher 130 ....

Im new with the scope too.

Thanks in advance for all assistance

I'm using a D70 and it works just fine for me :rolleyes: I do believe that Canon are somewhat better for astro work, and seem to be supported by various bit of software etc. But my Nikon is doing the business for me.

I can't see from the info on FLO whether that scope has direct telescope connection or not. On my 150PL there's a thread on the focuser that you can use in conjunction with a "T Ring" (Adaptors - T Rings) to connect the camera. The T Ring connects to the camera where the lens would notmally go... If you don't have those threads I think one of these could be an alternative solution: Adaptors - 1.25" T mount camera adapter You'd combine that adaptor with the appropriate Nikon T Ring and then slot the whole lot into the telescope.

Hope that helps.

• 3 years later...

I've got a quick (might sound silly) question on this. The adapters available for Nikon on FLO show one for NIKON and another for NIKON MF, whats the right one to buy for the D50?

thats for the nikon f series "The Nikon F camera, introduced in April 1959, was Nikon's first SLR camera" so its safe NOT to buy that one

i also use a nikon and a skywatcher 130, you wont get prime focus unless you are prepared to take a stihl saw to the tube lol

suggest you buy the nikon t-ring and also look for the barlow lens that has the thread on it to screw to the t-ring

http://www.merchantcitycameras.com/optical/optical-accessories/sky-watcher/2585-sky-watcher-2x-barlow-lens

that kind^ then you will get something in focus

Hi Dave,

I have plenty of nikons,from my much limited experience with telescopes,nikon owners struggle with back focus distance.

Nikons need to get closer to the secondary mirror to get focus.

in other words with a nikon you need further inward travel with focuser to get infinity focus than canon.

the nikon d50 is a keeper a much under stated and much under rated classic,a great camera and they can be had for a steal second hand now.i can easily get 1500 shots on a single charge from mine and its seen a lot of life.last time I checked it was on 130,000 clicks,that was about a year ago,still going strong..

i found this adaptor which gives a slight advantage to overcome back focus probs

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astro-engineering/astro-camera-adaptor/AC696-2inch%20to%20camera/DSLR.html

i like this as I do not have to mount t ring and nosepiece, this is a single unit which is secure when mounted to scope.

seems to work okay with my nikons using prime focus method.a 3 quid knockoff nikon remote release ml-l3 from fleabag will serve you well for astro with your d50.

@ radiostationx that adapter would be no use to him sorry

a t-ring can screw directly onto the 130 focuser tube itself...but wont ever focus ..not enough forward travel

only option is modding the scope by removing a few inch or mm (don't remember which) to bring mirror up the tube,or by using a barlow direct to camera

Generally there is a mount and an adaptor. One fits into your camera, clicking in just as a lens would fit. The other screws into that and the other end just pushes into your scope exactly as your diagonal or eyepiece would do. Then you set the camera on manual. Works for my Olympus anyway.

I'm not quite sure that the back focus issue is Nikon specific, rather scope specific.

I have a 250pds which is designed for use with a DSLR and have used a D200 and D7000 with reasonable results.

You won't reach focus with the sw130. A barlow will help, but your exposures will have to be shorter due to the increased magnification and hence greater vibrations etc. I eventually sawed the end off mine and this did the trick.

I've got a quick (might sound silly) question on this. The adapters available for Nikon on FLO show one for NIKON and another for NIKON MF, whats the right one to buy for the D50?

thats for the nikon f series "The Nikon F camera, introduced in April 1959, was Nikon's first SLR camera" so its safe NOT to buy that one

i also use a nikon and a skywatcher 130, you wont get prime focus unless you are prepared to take a stihl saw to the tube lol

suggest you buy the nikon t-ring and also look for the barlow lens that has the thread on it to screw to the t-ring

http://www.merchantc...-2x-barlow-lens

that kind^ then you will get something in focus

AI spec Nikon F-mount was introduced in 1977. Every Nikon F mount lens since 1977 can be used with any Nikon body produced since (in some cases it will have reduced functionality. (e.g. G-lens only shoot at min aperture and VR doesn't work on manual body, entry level SLR gets really confused if you change aperture using aperture ring, and DX lens vignettes in FX body etc...)). (Note: Canon is totally different, manual FD and electronic EOS are totally incompatible.)

I would be very surprise if FLO sells non-AI Nikon adapter, as any camera that uses them are antique. Most MF Nikon lens are either AI or AI-S lenses, some of the newest are AI-P.

Anyway, just buy the Nikon adapter. All T ring adapters are dumb MF adapters anyway. A barlow with male T thread should help bringing the image into focus in the 130

Archived