Narrowband

Star Diagonal ?? Repacement

Bigwings

The mirror on my Celestron diagonal has deteriorated so half of the mirror..isnt.....

They may replace under warranty but I am toying with the idea of getting a 2" version and one or two 2" eyepieces. An adapter of course to use my current eyepiece collection.

The scope is a Celestron SE8 SCT

Is this worth doing and what advantages should I get if I do.

What eyepieces should I get if I do add some 2".

Current equipment on Sig Line.

Thanks for the advice

Mike

Hi Mike,

If you've never looked through a 2" wide field eyepiece before the difference is stunning. Like looking through a port hole compared with looking through a peep hole.

If you've got the money I'd highly recommend a dielectric diagonal (Telescope House do a reasonabley priced quartz one). They reflect more light than your standard mirrors and make a noticable difference at the eyepiece.

If you don't have the money now I'd get the dielectric and buy the eyepieces later. You can always use your 1.25" ones with an adaptor.

Sound advice there, a decent 2" diag would be a good choice, I think they all come with a 1.25" adaptor anyway so you can use all your current eyepieces.

I think that was one of the first upgrades I did on my Meade 8" sct and being f10 you can get some decent images with cheaper eyepieces.

If they don't replace the faulty one you could donate it to my school project for use to try and fix?

cheers

Dave

I think there are many motivations: Firstly that you actually NEED the 2" format to achieve a greater true field of view. The 2" format is only strictly necessary, if you want to "better" 32mm/50Deg; 24mm/70Deg; 20mm/80deg [focal length/AFoV] etc. But perhaps going without saying? :(

Of course many others: That the 2" diagonal gives better light transmission, is better optically or contributes to physical stability of the setup. Some downsides. The weight is greater, centre of gravity is shifted etc. Will it clear the mount, focusser? SOME scopes may be internally baffled and the view vignetted. But I sense upgrading is USUALLY WELL worth a go... :rolleyes:

Asided: I cannot find significant reports of problems re. 8SE's and any of the above, but... :)

For starters, a modest (Moonfish, Generic Chinese etc. 32mm / 70 Deg eyepiece would be a good investment? I now use Hyperions exclusively in their 2" mode for greater rigidity/safety. :eek:

Archived