sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

EQ6 head???

NickH

Seems like a growing number of us who have permanent setups/observatory systems, and EQ6 mounts, need a second mount head...no handbox, no tripod, no counterweights, no cabling...nothing but the head...

this is for star parties etc etc...to avoid the pain of stripping down kit from obsy mounts

So...what's the deal, could/would this be a possibility from dealers?

Guessing that with the current EQ6 syntrek's at £789, take away the £150 for the handbox, and probably around another £100-£150 for the CW and tripod, this would make a good purchase option, as I don;t fancy hacking an old EQ6 etc...

Seems like a good idea and I would consider buying just the head myself, as you say its just too much trouble to dismantle a permanently mounted EQ6 for star parties etc.

Perhaps Steve (FLO) could find out if Synta would be willing to sell just the head?

From what I have learnt, this may not be possible, due to the way the mounts are produced. A shame to be sure as it's potentially another option, not only for existing owners, but also for people wanting to go the pier/EQmod route

I think so, and so does everyone I have spoken to...seems like a no-brainer to be honest... given that a pier mounted setup running EQMOD/EQDIR (netbook and interface would cost less than the handbox option!), with a dumbell/DIT CW set...would allow many more people interested in what is probably the best sub £1500 mount on the market to invest in it..

Oh, it makes soooo much sense - it really does - they shift more units, and make more money - how much of a no-brainer is that, eh?

Ah well, can't fix stupid i suppose....

Someone will wakeup someday - maybe we can get another manufacturer to reverse engineer the thing, or design an amateur mount which can take a Synscan motherboard? Hmmm.... Now thats got me thinking....

Not when you have a C11

Options for me are

Don't do any deep sky work outside of the obsy, and just get a bog standard EQ6 head for planetary and solar - means SGL5/SSP will be boring

Mod a V2 EQ6 (probably cost almost as much as this option...and not ideal) - not happy with this approach

Get support for this option and hopefully make everyone happy! - and not revert to using the second hand market, thus supporting the dealer network

Too expensive, and can't hold enough weight for Nick... Or me if I get around to buying a third dovetail for my bar and mount the AP102ED, ZS66 DSLR and the C8!

The EQ6 is much better suited to astrophotography imho - the HEQ5 will do it, yes, but why compromise on that part when I already have an EQ6 tripod, 4 weights and a handbox?