Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to polar align with HEQ5 and EQ6 mounts, and SynScan 3.11+

Breakintheclouds

I don't know why the unit doesn't have a realtime clock - OK whilst it drops a 60 seconds a month, the DS1307 chip is cheap and I'm sure they could use chips with better accuracy. Maybe we should all send a petition to the UK importers for feedback to Synta :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Better still Gina, get it computer controlled with EQmod/Ascom.

Looking at trying this myself. Looking at the EQMOD site it shows how to make the interface

eqdirect_232.png

Just for clarification, is the RJ45 for the EQ5 shown with the clip up or clip down ?

Don't bother with all that, just get FTDI TTL-232R-WE cable, the 5V version, NOT the 3V3 version and put an RJ45 (HEQ5) or 9 pin D (EQ6) on the end.

Some folks prefer the 232 approach if they need to run long distances and don't want to get into active USB extensions. That said full details of how to build the USB version of the EQDirect are on the EQMOD website as well.

Chris.

Thanks guys... just need to source it from RS (have an account) or somewhere else as farnell seem to charge £20 delivery - looks a neat and simple. having said that, I just so happen to have a few MAX232's and capacitors in my hobby box to build one of the units shown in that schematic, so might try it :D

Just ordered one of those TTL-232R-WE 5v cables from RS. Can you let me know what colour wire go to what pin on the RJ45 connector.

I assume that on the EQ-5 mount I connect this cable direct to the SynScan unit where the hand controller normally plugs into ?

Once you have got polar aligned way I do with my heq5 is I marked where the feet was and also marked on the mount a line where the tripod meet the mount so 1 you can put tripod back where you had it at the last viewing and 2 if you take the mount off the tripod you can get that back to the same place and now I can look through the polar. scope and polar will be there right by the big circle where it where night before ,then you just need to adjust the you knobs job done.

Keep at it is does get easier.

After what seems like a week of cloudy skies tonight was clear so I had another go at polar aligning. Altitude was correct but I just couldn't get the azimuth to adjust. I think the mount has tightened up on the tripod so tomorrow I'm going to take it apart again (if I can). Meanwhile, I have more stuff for my concrete pier and I'm hoping we can start pouring concrete tomorrow.

...Lucky you in Devon with all those dark skies...

Haha I guess you've never been to Plymouth! :);)

The view through the polar scope confused me to begin with, too. But ever since I started using PolarFinder I don't even look at the constellation guides anymore.

Found my mount to tripod securing screw had tightened up - needed two hands on it to unscrew it! Having done that the mount turned quite freely :) So that's answered that - don't tighten it up until polar alignment is finished.

I have started using eqmods polar alignment program and it is the nuts and after doing all the set up marks on my heq5 so it set up in the same position every night it takes me about 2 minute to do the polar alignment more time for waiting.

Don't bother with all that, just get FTDI TTL-232R-WE cable, the 5V version, NOT the 3V3 version and put an RJ45 (HEQ5) or 9 pin D (EQ6) on the end.

£16.30 from Farnell, Order Code: 1740364.

Received my cable today, but I have some reservations (see here http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/140595-usb-rs232-convertion.html#post1803585 )

Can you confirm what colour wires I need to terminate in the RJ11 ? I don't want to muck up my synscan unit

EQMOD

thats the one i made and it works... no linking of pins on the RJ-45....

So that's just

For those with HEQ5-Pro you will need to splice an RJ45 cable to the flying lead of the TTL232R. Connect as follows:

Solder Pin 4 of the RJ45 to the Black wire (GND)

Solder Pin 5 of the RJ45 to the Yellow wire (RXD)

Solder Pin 6 of the RJ45 to the Orange wire (TXD)

Archived