Eyepiece help

I have the following eyepieces for my Skywatcher 150P

16mm PLOSSL

26MM PLOSSL

32MM PLOSSL

10MM SKYWATCHER SUPER

WIDE ANGLE LONG EYE RELIEF SUPER 25

2 X BARLOW LENS

Can anyone out there surgest any more eyepieces to maximise my scope.

ps i`m assuming PLOSSLs are PLOSSLs and they are all the same as mine have the dots above the O.

Hi Mick,

With your barlow lens you seem to be pretty well sorted - you might get a 10mm plossl to replace the 10mm "Super" which don't really live up to their name. Combining with the barlow that will give you focal lengths of 32mm, 26mm, 16mm, 13mm, 10mm, 8mm and 5mm. If the barlow is not good quality you might want think about replacing that with a good one such as the TAL 2x.

John

You seam to be pretty much covered when it comes to different magnifications.

If the barlow is not good, maybe an upgrade, as John said, or a planetary EP around 7, 6 or 5mm depending how good are your "normal" seeing conditions. With it you would cover all mags needed and give the barlow a rest.

You may also consider staying with what you have and find out what you use the most. Then you can buy 1 or 2 higher quality EPs around the same mag to improve the quality of the ones you use more often.

Thanks guys for the advice. So the answer is to either get a better quality Barlow or a couple of Planet EPs. Can i therefore be cheeky and ask for advice on particullar makes and places to get them etc. jahmanson, i`ll ckeck out the Tal 2x.

Looks like you have a pretty decent collection of Plossls there. Yes they do have a dot over the 'o' like ö - thats German.

I'd guess the only thing to do would be to find out which ones you use most and maybe look to replace them with better quality ones (Meade 5000s seems to get a lot of votes) or perhaps move to something like the Sky-Watcher Extra Flats or Sky-Watcher Nirvana EPs or Williams EPs or maybe even Baader Hyperions - they all have their own charms and their own band of devotees.

Theres a lot of choice out there depending on what you want to spend and what you want to look at.

Thanks guys for the advice. So the answer is to either get a better quality Barlow or a couple of Planet EPs. Can i therefore be cheeky and ask for advice on particullar makes and places to get them etc. jahmanson, i`ll ckeck out the Tal 2x.

I can't offer advice on that, but here are 2 great comparison articles about planetary EPs. Have a look for their findings on the University Optics Orthos and all the others too. (I'm gonna buy a 9 and a 5mm for Christmas, since they are cheap and seam to perform well).

Review 1

Review 2

If you want to consider a better quality Barlow lens, I have a 2.8x Klee Barlow I purchased a few years ago from BC&F stand at Astrofest a few years ago, the person next to me, said when I was in the queue to pay for it, "Jammy b******!", when I replied about the comment he said, "They are damn good". They tend to be a tad pricey, but it does exactly as it says and I cannot fault it. Also TeleVue Barlows are supposed to be good too, especially their Powermates.

If you ever come across a Tele Vue Powermate 2.5x at an affordable price then I can highly recommend it. I used to use one with my 9mm and 7mm Naglers to provide high powers in my F/6.5 refractor and the combination worked superbly. I've now got 5mm and 3.5mm Naglers and have sold the Powermate but TBH I can't see any difference in the quality of the views. The Powermate is really one of those optics that simply "gets out of the way" - all you see is the extra magnification.

John

Archived