Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepeice purchase

I think i'm going to buy my first eyepeice soon, I have a 250PX 10" Dob and it came with 10mm and 25mm eyepeices, i've been looking at the Meade 5000 EP's for a while now as they look (to my un-trained eyes) to be good quality and sort of mid-range price, not to cheap to be crappy and not so expensive that i'd have to sell a kidney, but the question is which one do I buy?

With mars being close to us in a couple months for the only time in the next 2/3 years (or so i'm told) where it will be possible to get the best view of it i'd like to really get a great view of it while I can, so I want a 5.5mm or so EP which will 'magnify' mars more so I can see more detail on it? is that right? smaller the mm the more 'zoomed' in the image is, the higher the more of the sky I can see.

sorry to ramble on but basically is there anything better I can get for the same amount (or less) money or did I pick a good one?

Even when close Mars still needs about 200x to look decent so for your scope the 5.5mm would be about right. Cannot comment on the Meade 5000 other than the reviews are good.

Look a getting some coloured filters as these will help bring out the details (I found a neodymium filter works too).

If you are prepared to stay up, at the moment Mars is displaying the polar cap well.

Mike

Meade series 5000 Plossls are my favourite eyepieces for deep sky, but I prefer Baader Genuine Orthos for planetary/lunar - the field of view is smaller but the contrast is better & the image is tack sharp right to the edge of the field.

.....I want a 5.5mm or so EP which will 'magnify' mars more so I can see more detail on it? is that right? smaller the mm the more 'zoomed' in the image is, the higher the more of the sky I can see....QUOTE]

Yes that's right. The only thing is applying more and more magnficiation does not continue to show more detail. The aperture of the scope ultimately determines theoretically how much magnficiation you can usefully apply but it's the UK viewing conditions that really set the limit - which seems to br around 250x on all but the very best nights.

When I had my 8" F/6 dobsonian I found a 7mm eyepiece gave the best views of planets most of the time.

John

Meade series 5000 Plossls are my favourite eyepieces for deep sky, but I prefer Baader Genuine Orthos for planetary/lunar - the field of view is smaller but the contrast is better & the image is tack sharp right to the edge of the field.

I've never tried orthos. Isn't the eye relief minimal in the shorter focal lengths?

About 0.8f ... I find orthos fine down to about 9mm, and a 6mm is usable, though not if you really do need to wear glasses at the scope.

I don't need glasses for observing fortunately. I'll need to see if I can borrow one from a fellow society member to try.

About 0.8f ... I find orthos fine down to about 9mm, and a 6mm is usable, though not if you really do need to wear glasses at the scope.

The "volcano top" type make this a little easier I feel - they seem to fit the shape of the face / eye socket better.

That focal length to eye relief ratio looks no worse than plossls, maybe a little better than some.

John

I would check the Pentax Xw, I have a 10mm one and it´s superb, now I´m raising funds to go for the 40mm, It´s a lifetime investment.. If not Celestron Lxs are also very good eyepieces at a good price... For planetary in another mount I would go for a vixen lv, but for using in a dobson better a vixen xw.

Archived