Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

DAVPPK

A problem to focus on...

Last night I (finally) set up my kit, pointed the scope at the pleadies, slotted the EP in and....it doesn't focus at all. The 'longer' the focusing tube comes out, the more it focuses, but it never reaches to be a sharp image.

Help?

Dave

Dave, try lifting the ep a little way in the diagonal. You'll probably find it'll then come to focus. I had exactly the same thing. Easily solved with the addition of an extention tube. 2" should work based on the spec on FLO, and Steve has them for about £17

Is this with your Evostar Scope. Seems odd if so.

Usually plenty of movement on the focuser.

Do you have the diagonal in too.

I was going to say remove it, but that would be worse of course.:icon_eek:

Ron.

no diagonal, and I tried your method john with all 3 eps, but still no luck :icon_eek:

Dave, you need to have the diagonal in. That is why it can't reach focus.

Ron.

Dave,

on these telescopes you have to either use a diagonal or a 2" extension tube to reach focus. This is designed to allow you some "freeboard" to allow you to fit cameras etc when the time comes.

I agree with Ron. You need the diagonal. I ended up having to use a tube on both my frac's to avoid having to pull the ep out a little, that's not fun with a 5mm Hyperion....