Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

152mm f/7,5 4 lens superapo build

alfi

hi people.

i have wanted a big ED refractor since i started up again in astronomy, but the prices of 150mm + ED`s is terrifying.

lately Istar optical has been adverticing big, quality refractor lenscells.

so i contacted them, and got excellent service.

i have now ordered a 4 lens 152mm f/7,5 superapo lenscell from them.

together with Ales at Istar optical, im in the process of designing the OTA.

it is based on their own design for this lenscell, a design that they will be offering themselfs at a later date.

there will be a countercell of their own unique design, a well baffled tube, a specially made visual back, and a rotatable 3" baader steeltrack focuser.

im really looking forward to this build, and to be able to own a very high quality refractor, at a price that no-one else can match.

the service from Ales is impressive, and the product line they are in the prossess of offering, is impressive.

everyone interested in building their own refractor should visit their webpage, and contact them.

ISTAR Optical » Page 1 of 1

alfi

hi

it will be a very nice scope, in a league of its own.

i will be mounting it on my eq6 pro, that i have just hypertuned.

the production time, will be ca. 2 months, with doing the calculations, design, production of parts, powdercoating, etc.

Istar is very busy, with a lot of work now, but Ales at Istar have promised to get it done in 2 months or less.

everything will be of high quality on this build.

i was planning on getting someone here in norway to do much of the work, but the prices Istar can offer cant be beaten here, even if i know the metalwokers myself, so i took their offer to manufacture the parts, only buying the baader 3" steeltrack focuser myself.

they have sold several lenses to england, they produce a 6" f/10 achro, a 8" f/9 achro, etc.

the prices is excellent, best prices in the business, and the measured lenses i have seen, have measured very well.

this is the only way for "normal" people to get a big refractor today.

the lensecell im getting is a preproduction lenscell, the same they will start offering probably in early 2011.

i will be posting pictures and descriptions of the quality as soon as i get the parts.

alfi

alfi

hi

yes the 8" is fantastically priced, and an easy way to get a BIG refractor, if things work out right, and i can get a observatory built, i will look at building one, but for now i have to transport it out in a car, and its a bit big for that.

Ales over at Istar optical is super to work with, and gives excellent service.

alfi

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys

a little update on my build.

i have changed the plans for the scope, i have chosen to go from a 4 lens design, up to a fluorite triplet design.

this will give even better correction, and also reduce the cooldown time of the lenses.

i will post more pictures of the scope, as i get them.

alfi

• 2 weeks later...

hello

today Ales sent me the preliminary design of the fluorite triplet lenses he is designing for my scope.

i can not share them, of obvious reasons.

the design will be tweaked even more, before production.

already the design is of top class, you will not find many designs that are this good, and after tweaking it should be even better.

the correction is excellent, the best i have seen posted anywhere.

im really thrilled by his work, and cant wait for the scope to be finished.

alfi

• 1 month later...

Hi Alfi,

Well,I ve got the beast mounted at last. The 6" f/10 Achro doublet lens and cell I bought from Ales ages ago has been a very satisfying build. I now just need to star test it properly. I have a couple of quick peeks and things are looking promising. Here are a few pics. It's a disc popper for sure :)

I hope your new scope is coming along OK.

post-14648-133877423389_thumb.jpg

post-14648-133877423392_thumb.jpg

post-14648-133877423394_thumb.jpg

Archived