SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just bought Skywatcher Skyliner 200PX

Hey, whats up everyone!

After a few days of thinking which scope to buy, I just ordered the skywatcher skyliner 200p 8" dobsonion! I hope I didnt make a mistake, but I thought let me buy the 8 because it may be better to transport etc. Anyone know how much they weigh :icon_eek:?

I was wondering, what is the maximum time you can view a cluster/messier before it passes through the view of the scope?

You're going to love it! I have the 10" dob and love it. Dead easy set up and as for things passing through your field of view it depends on the eyepeice. Some eyepeices of the same focal length have wider fields of view, for example orthoscopics 40 degrees, plossls 50 degrees, then 65, 70, 82 and even the hughly expensive 100 degree eyepeices. This means that at the same mag (worked out by the focal length of the eyepeice/ focal length of scope) you can see different amounts of the sky.

Take a 32mm with a field of view of 70 degees. For me that's a mag of 37.5 it sees 1.87 degrees of sky (True field of view) and at this low mag stuff stays in the field of view for a good while.

With a 12mm plossl (50 deg) this gives me x100 mag and 0.5 degree T F of V. As you can imagine clusters etc will move across the view 3 times quicker.

Don't worry about moving the scope to keep things in view it quickly becomes natural.

There's a good tool on here that I used to work out the field of views for my eyepeices. http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/67512-eyepiece-calculator.html#post1100576 Once I had these numbers I used Stellarium (free planeturium software) to simulate what speed and size things would appear in my eyepeice.

Enjoy your new scope.

Brian

They are very nice scopes and weigh around 20 kg I recall. I could lift mine and move it around in 1 piece which was convenient.

As Brian has said the nudging to track objects soon becomes 2nd nature - the speed with which they appear to move across the field of view inceases with the mignfication you are using - deep sky objects a generally viewed at low-mediaum power so it's not too challenging but it does get more fun when using high powers on the planets and double stars ! - still quite dooable though up to about 250x.

John

thanks guys!

Im wondering, what kind of eye pieces to buy for the scope, Brian named some useful ones, but if I wanted higher magnification, any recommendations for eye pieces under 10mm?

A 5mm eyepiece would give you 240x which is the practical max on most nights. I found 7mm a useful focal length eyepiece when I had an 8" F/6 dob - decent enough power to show good planetary details but not "flat out" as it were !.

John

it really depends what you want to spend although in my experience you get a definite improvement on the supplied skywatcher 10mm e/p from about £50-60 upwards (or even less for say a meade 4000). a key issue is how important is a wide field (which can be very important with a dob at high powers...) - ie you can get a very good planatary e/p (an orthoscopic) from about £50 but the field of view and the eye relief are small. A really good wide field e/p (say 80 deg +) would probably start at about £120ish.

I compromised on a Burgess Optical TMB planatary e/p with a 60 degree field which was about £60. Teleskopservice (a german company) makes clones and I have one of those too which is ok.

I'm sure some people would dispute the "very good" at that price range :icon_eek:

I ordered from Pulsar Optical - Telescopes & Observatories

Had the best price around, so I went for that one? was that a bad decision? or was it just my luck :icon_eek:

Hi

Hamit ,I have ordered thing from here ,some times there have not got the item in stock and you may have to wait

But I would phone them first as the payment went though,Did you go though PayPal ?

best of luck with you new scope have fun

Doug

Good news! I called pulsar today and they said they will dispatch today so I receive it tomorrow! They didn't get a confirmation of my address from paypal so they said they would dispatch today because I called, if they don't dispatch,I'm fishing for a refund...

Yeah for real, waiting for clear skies now! It's hard with the image inverted lol

Use the time / daylight to get your finderscope properly aligned with your main scope. Thats the key to being able to find anything in when it's dark.

John

I have the same scope from the same supplier (they're just down the road from me). You'll get some great views with it :rolleyes:

So far my favourites have been the Moon, the Ring Nebula and Jupiter, though there are plenty of others!

I'm still using the supplied EPs, but fancy adding to those with a 32mm & a 7mm on the Christmas list. Otherwise I've removed the finderscope and use a red dot finder in its place.

Just waiting for clear skies again now :)

Archived