SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Laptop Query

I was given a Laptop a few weeks ago, for doing a repair on a guys Scope drive. It is an oldish machine. A Hewlet Packard ZV 5000.

The only fault it had was the Power Supply/ Charger Connection at the rear was Hitty Missy. That was sorted easily enough.

Now my Obs.is kitted out, and I'm doing some work familiarising myself with all the equipment I have to embark on imaging.

I decided the HP Laptop woul be OK for the job, and for a week or more it has been OK. This evening though, I decided to do a dummy run, with everything connected. Mount to Eqmod, USB Hub, for connecting Atik USB Filter wheel, Main SX Camera plus Guide cam.

Long story for the punch line.

The flipping Laptop wouldn't fire up. Pressing the on switch, and all the blue lights come on, I hear the HDD click a couple of times, but nothing elase. Nothing on screen. Not even Bios Info.

I persisted for a while to no avail.

I disconnected everything, and took the laptop indoors.

I should have said it had been in the Obs for a few days, but inside a writing desk I have in there, where all the cables and other bits are stored.

I put it into the airing cupboard for about 1.5 hours, and then tried again. Burst into life immediately.

So, is being cold, (I don't think damp, except when I brought it into the house, a little condensation formed in the warmth of the house, but soon dispersed when warmed up.),

likely to have been the cause?

Ron:)

This happened to my old lap top, I used to use in outdoors in pretty damp and cold conditions and after a few hours it used to just cut out and not fire up. Bring it indoors and warm it up, then it fired up OK. It was a very old laptop at least 5 years old.

Now I have a new one and leave it outside all night and all is fine.

So I would imagine it's because it's older, maybe not sealed as good as the newer models.

Did it have a bug?:icon_eek:

Forgot to add, I always take my battery out of my laptop when using it outside, was something that was advised to do years ago by an IT person I knew, never went into the whats where's and why fors but I've never had a problem with it when it gets cold.

I've learned that most laptops hate the cold. There ok using in the cold as long as they are running. Leave one in a cold room for a day and you'll have problems starting it up.

If you have to leave it I suggest wrapping it in something to keep the moisture out and protect from cold tempuratures, bubble wrap should do.

Thanks very much for your replies guys.

I did think the cold might be the reason, As I would be relying on the machine in the dead of Winter, I dont want it failing too often, if at all really. I do have a fairly new one too, but this older one will be given the task, but I will take steps to keep it warm. I have plenty of Nichrome wre, so I'll make myself a heated pad for it to sit on.

When It is quite cold I will switch the pad on a couple of hours before I need it. I'll test that before I commit to relying on it though.

Thanks again all.

Ron.:icon_eek:

Archived