Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi From East Anglia

Shibby

Hi to everybody!

I've always had an interest in astronomy, but have only just bought my first telescope, a Skywatcher Explorer 130P AZ Goto - partly thanks to discussions and reviews on this forum, so thanks!

So far, I've set it up and had a brief observe of the Moon and Jupiter, but haven't gotten around to aligning it yet to use the GoTo function.

I'm a total beginner so am bound to have numerous questions (already have some actually!)

See you around!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Shibby, I've just joined SGL too and bought my first telescope at the weekend. I'm also from East Anglia (between Ipswich and Colchester).

Sounds like you've got yourself an awesome piece of kit there and that your first observing sessions were the same as mine - I've spent a lot of time looking at the Moon and Jupiter! Still, there is more than enough to look at right there.

What I've found particularly interesting is observing around the Moon Terminator (the line between the brightly-lit part and the rest) each night - craters that you couldn't see in great detail one night suddenly pop-up the next night because of the shadows cast. Very cool. I can't wait until the moon is half brightly lit (early next week).

East Anglia hasn't had the luck with the weather of late. Hopefully things will pick up this weekend. I've taken to just setting up first thing in the evening and standing around outside for hours trying to catch a 'window' in the clouds. Worth every minute though when you do actually get to see something.

- Andy.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Real name's Lewis, by the way.

What I've found particularly interesting is observing around the Moon Terminator (the line between the brightly-lit part and the rest) each night - craters that you couldn't see in great detail one night suddenly pop-up the next night because of the shadows cast. Very cool. I can't wait until the moon is half brightly lit (early next week)

Me too! I was amazed at the detail, especially through the supplied 10mm eyepiece. Indeed, I bet it'll look fantastic with the terminator facing more towards us - fingers crossed the clouds at least stay patchy for the next few nights.

Jupiter and its moons looked good the brief time I was looking at it, though I couldn't really make out any detail on the planet, this may have been due it its brightness? Would the moon filter help? Haven't tried the 2x barlow thingy...

A friend of mine has a Nikon DSLR so we're going to try take some pictures soon (although the "T-Mount" and "T-Adapter" haven't arrived yet. - took me a while to work out what was required). So I'll have to post any pics we do manage to take!

Jupiter and its moons looked good the brief time I was looking at it, though I couldn't really make out any detail on the planet, this may have been due it its brightness? Would the moon filter help? Haven't tried the 2x barlow thingy...

Shibby, when I look at Jupiter the definition of the clouds is very slight. It's like faint tan stripes on an almost white ball - and that's on the maximum magnification I can currently do.

As far as I understand, the images you often see of Jupiter (in all its red, brown and cream glory) are composed of hundreds / thousands of images which are combined on a computer to produce the end result.

Regarding Barlows and filters, there is a ton of great information on this site that explain them far better than I can. I'd recommend reading these to start with:

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/63184-primer-understanding-choosing-eyepieces.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/84192-primer-understanding-choosing-filters-visual-use.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/38541-primer-planetary-filters-guide.html

- Andy.

Archived