Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Photos!!

CaptPaul

Hi all,

I managed to get out for about half hour (untill it yet again went cloudy) last night to look at the moon. as i was looking at it i decided to grab a digital camera and try and shoot it A focally this is what i came out with...

I have tried to change the colour slightly to take off the hint of colour from my moon filter on the first one and slightly on the second but if anyone can give me any advice or tips to make these pics any better your comments would be great.

Thanks

:icon_eek:

post-17036-133877408044_thumb.jpg

post-17036-133877408051_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its already started lol i have brought a toyoucam and just waiting on the adapter from FLO then im gonna start experimenting with the whole imaging thing just with that and the moon to start with, so should be lots of questions popping up soon!

its already started lol i have brought a toyoucam and just waiting on the adapter from FLO then im gonna start experimenting with the whole imaging thing just with that and the moon to start with, so should be lots of questions popping up soon!

Great pictures well done - can you give me links to the adapter you was saying you are waiting for ?

i got my web cam off ebay

here:

PHILIPS ToUcam 810B Webcam Camera - BRAND NEW on eBay (end time 05-Nov-09 12:00:59 GMT)

it arrived very quick boxed as new BUT i havnt tried it yet (just covering myself lol) it all looks fine and the seller is a ebay shop so all should be ok.

It will mean the adapter you want is the last one on the previous link (check first they are in stock cause ive been waiting for a while now)

Paul, I've shunted this over to the imaging forum. A very good first attempt. I agree about the moon filter, just take it out for photography. I assume you're using a point and shoot of some sort afocally based on the description.

No probs! I didnt spot the section its been moved to!

thanks, yeah i pinched my gf's digital camera its a fujifilm a235 and just put it against the eyepiece. going to try again for some close ups of things.

Hi Paul,

Nice pics a good first go - I was doing the same on Monday night with my 8meg digital camera for the first time. I also left the moon filter on, I'll know better for next time! :icon_eek: I don't think I was getting as sharp an image as you well done! What software were you using to adjust the colour?

Dazraz just a quick note - I noticed you have a dob scope I think you need a motorised mount if your going to use a webcam but I could be wrong just a thought before you buy one? Maybe someone else can post and let you know for sure?

Cheers

post-16879-133877408058_thumb.jpg

post-16879-133877408065_thumb.jpg

Those are great!

all i used was the program that they open up in, the office picture manager (im not very adventerous with computers lol) once they open you can right click and edit then i just played with the brightness and contrast and colour settings just make sure you save as and then when you close it will ask to save changes say no cause thats to the original its prob best to keep the original.

theres a good one in the colour settings that says saturate dont know what it does or means lol but it seems to take the filters colour off quite well. Put them back on if you manage to change them!

good luck

Thanks for the help - I realised I got some image manipulation software with 'The Sky at Night' mag in October so I installed it and experimented a bit. I found the saturate scale and a few others, I also rotated the image so it's the right way round. I'm quite pleased with the results for a first go!! :icon_eek:

I'd also be interested in how you get on with the webcam as it's something I've been thinking about doing in the future. If you could post some of your images when it's up and running that'd be great.

Cheers

post-16879-133877408225_thumb.jpg

That looks great after your editting.

my web cam is going to take a while i think but as soon as i use it ill get something up. i still got to work out how to use the motor on my scope lol!! EXPECT QUESTIONS PEOPLE!!! lol

Ive added some notes to my pic now as im trying to start to learn whats on the moon. hopefully its not too wrong but ive added the names of the mares and some key features i plan to look at in more detail and cross off to my pic i took the other day. (the things you do on cloudy nights ay!)

post-17036-133877408265_thumb.jpg

Cool, good luck with the webcam. :icon_eek:

If your motor is anything like mine you just need to centre the object in your EP and switch it on. It's calibrated to move at the right speed to keep the object in view - well thats if you've polar aligned ok first. It doesn't have to be that perfect as you can adjust with the manual controls if it drifts out a bit after a while. :)

I'd also recommend the 'Virtual Moon Atlas' I only got it last weekend after a heads-up from members of my Observers Group. Only had a chance for a quick look but it seems really useful.

Cheers

Archived